1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG Geezer without grounding, sounds great(?)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Papalampraina, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez.

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Hey peeps! Yesterday I installed an EMG Geezer in my Skyline Lakland 44-51. Now I understand why all these people praise this pickup. However, this thing had a small hiccup which was solved with the most unexpected method.
    I followed EMG's instructions and had everything installed in minutes. I plug it in and there was this huge hum. Additionally, the moment I touched the bridge, I couldn't even hear the bass sound, just hum and noise.
    I opened up the control plate again (two screws only, yeah!) disconnected the grounding from the volume pot and there it was... silence.
    I plugged the bass again in the amp and there was no noise. None, whatsoever! So now I had, not only a great bass with tone for days, but also possibly the most silent bass I've ever played.
    Is it weird that the bass should sound like that without being grounded? I thought grounding was mandatory or something.
    By the way, kudos to EMG for making this pickup! @JimmyM now I get it! ;)

JimmyM likes this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Active pickups are not grounded. Admittedly, I don't know if Geezers are passive or active though. I see "EMG" and think "active" but they do make passive pickups too.

3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    EMG Geezers are passive.

4. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  5. Papalampraina

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Hmmm, their printed instructions have the ground in the wrong pin. Might as well try that, if I'm not bothered. Pickup plays great even without grounding.

6. Papalampraina

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Yep, that did it. Still silent as death. :)

RyanOh likes this.
  7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Well, it’s getting ground somehow otherwise it wouldn’t be working. Pesky physics you know.

8. Papalampraina

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Yes, the pots and the pickup were grounded, meaning that it would work well enough. The bridge, strings and tuners were not, and now they are, but eventually these do not hinder functionality and tone.

9. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    That's same issue I was able to solve, switching the output pins from what the instructions displayed. Absolute silence, it's great.

Papalampraina likes this.