1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG GZR Disappointment

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TjMetalhead, Mar 8, 2018.

1. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Last night I posted a thread about having issues with EMG GZR pickups. The E&A pickup was completely dead and didn't work. Luckily the ebay seller is going to exchange it for me and I was thinking about keeping them but decided against it because I'm concerned about EMG's quality control as of late. I found multiple threads of people having similar issues. Instead I opted for the Seymour Duncan SPB-4 Steve Harris set. Considering my love for Iron Maiden and the precision bass it only made logical sense for me to get those. I used to have SD SPB-2 on a franken P I use to have and I got great classic tones from it. Anybody else tried the SPB-4's? I was gonna go for the SPB-1 but the Steve Harris set just has that extra bite and depth. Once I get the EMG's I'm gonna sell them so I can get my money back. This whole situation has been such a headache. Just needed to rant a little!

Zoobiedood likes this.
  2. Brio

Brio Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    Not apples to apples but I have a Duncan SCPB-3 single coil in a ‘54 style franken P that I love. Similar to the SPB-2, it gives classic tone for days.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  3. TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Interesting! I've never been partial to telecaster basses, but always liked the way they sounded. I had tried the SPB-3's first on my old franken bass but did not like the scooped mids I got from them.

Brio likes this.
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would like to try the SPB-4 someday, but I’m happy with the P Bass pickups I have right now. I would also like to see/hear an SPB-4 demo that covers a variety of styles of music. Every demo I’ve seen is someone playing nothing but Maiden licks.

Zoobiedood and TjMetalhead like this.
  5. TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    What do you have in yours? From what I hear from other people on the forum they're fairly versatile despite being 'Arrys signatures. From the sound demos I heard they sound like juiced up SPB-1's which is what I'm looking for.

Slater likes this.
  6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have a Fender Pure Vintage ‘63 in a P Bass strung with flats, and a Dimarzio Model P in a P Bass with round wounds. If I get the itch, I might swap the Model P with the SPB-4 just to try it, but I really like the Dimarzio.

TjMetalhead likes this.