EMG GZR Pickups - Installing a new jack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Frndmoretti, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    If i install EMG GZR, will I have any problems installing a new jack or pots? Do I need to buy them from EMG?

2. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I just did an install and the pickups came with all the pots and the jack. Easy-peezy.

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

upload_2017-8-21_22-52-32.png

I'm not sure what you do however, if your bass uses a barrel jack & they send you a "regular" jack.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  4. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    Sorry. I wasn't clear. What do I do if there is a problem with the jack or pots after some time. Do I just cut the wire and solder it normally?

5. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    I was thinking of buying them, but I live in Brazil, so ifthere is no way to install a regular jack on it or if it' too hard, I couldn't afford to waith months for replacement parts.

6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    It looks like the jack can be soldered if needed. The pots would probably have to be EMG replacements or you'd have to strip or replace the wires to solder to traditional pots.

7. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I sure looks like it's just a normal passive pickup. You could probably just wire it the conventional way from the start.

fat4 and jmlee like this.
  8. Killed_by_Death

They're easily interchangeable with "regular" parts via soldering iron.
    TBH I probably would toss those pots & that "solderless system".

and put in two 500k Ohm pots

9. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    and what difference would it make to the sound?

10. Killed_by_Death

upload_2017-8-21_23-15-58.png

Morrighan likes this.
  11. What if you despise treble and can't wait to banish it from your bass tonal palet?

Stick with 250's?

12. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I've been told that the solderless system, aside from that cool grounding technique they use, is just like soldering a pickup system in place, just without soldering. I have a set of GZRs in a PJ of mine (I love these pups btw, that is my go-to bass at home, play it all the time) and it's safe to say that you shouldn't have any issues if say you just clipped the leads they have on the existing wires that come with it and solder them all instead. It would essentially be the same thing. I've never tried it, but I do believe that you would be fine if you needed to clip the lead that goes to the input jack and resolder to another one if needed.

Hey @JimmyM, do you know if I'm accurate in my assessment above?

13. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Did exactly this on my Ibanez SR. Was very easy.

gregmon79 likes this.
  14. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Start working that tone knob :D

SwitchGear and Killed_by_Death like this.
  15. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I did this with the above mentioned Ibanez. It was very easy, but I ended up going back to 250k's anyways. The GZRs are bright and the Ibanez itself is bright, so the 500k's were just too much. I'd say try the stock value first. You'll be surprised about how much top end they have.

16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I really like them the way they are. But then I need my high end content. That's half my tone. So the GZRs are just about perfect for me.

17. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I'm the same. I use a lot of overdrive and other fx, so high end is a major focus of mine. I ended up trading those GZRs to a friend for a Bad Ass III and a couple of bucks. I installed them on his MIA PJ which already had 500k pots and it was perfect. I think my excessive high end was a product of the Ibanez itself. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a set of Dimarzio Model P's for it to try and give it a little bit of the low mids that it is missing.

gregmon79 likes this.
  18. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I always wanted to try those Dimarzios, they look sweet. I actually use an Ibanez ATK300 for my main band player. Def no treble lacking there. As well as a big board of effects. Gotta have my high end zing. I use D'Addarrio Pro Steels too.

19. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I have a Hamer Cruise Bass and the body is thick where the pots and output jack is and hence use a long thread pot and output jack.

The supplied EMG pots and jack would not fit properly so I had to leave my components in place.

You can slide off the plastic portion of the EMG solderless connectors by using a pin to press a release catch and that reveals a crimped piece of metal that you can insert and solder a couple inch long piece of your own wire into by carrfulling sliding your wire into the crimped pieces opening. Solder it up. Then solder that new regular wire as in a normal installation, and save the EMG plastic parts in case you remove them and want to return the leads to stock.

But again, if the supplied EMG pots and jack do fit your instrument, just use theirs for solderless installation.

20. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I'm using pro-steels on my Stiletto Vintage 4 and they aren't hitting the high end sweet spot I like. I will say that they have lasted FOREVER.

gregmon79 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021