1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG GZR vs Active P5J set + BQC

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by summerson1, Nov 17, 2018.

1. summerson1

summerson1

Feb 20, 2011
    So on my 2 main basses i want to do pickup swaps, but on my 5 string i wish to use an active P5J set with an EMG BQC preamp and on my 4 string I want to stay passive with GZR PJ pickups. Now my question is would there be a huge output difference between the two? This is a consideration because i switch basses during a set.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The actives will be a good bit louder for sure, but with them, you can turn the volume knob down without it adversely affecting the sound so you can match volumes pretty easily. And then you have the BQC to cover getting the tones closer, so you would be able to do all that without any outboard gear.

summerson1 likes this.
  3. summerson1

summerson1

Feb 20, 2011
    Oh ok. In that case i could probably mark the knobs where it's the closest to sounding like the GZR setup.

JimmyM likes this.