1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG HB same size alternatives? (guitar humbucker size, Steinberger)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thunder Pulse, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Are there any other EMG HB size bass pickups are there out there? I can't think of any... just the EMG actives & passives.

I was wondering what pickups, if any, anyone has used as direct replacements for the HB's that came with their Steinberger Spirit, Hohner headless, or any other Steinberger licensed model.

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
  3. jonnymac

jonnymac Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Seymour duncan also makes some in both active and passive.

I also just learned about Lace Alumitone pickups today.

I think there are several other options out there as well.

4. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Thanks Mike, I'll have a look.

Jonnymac - thanks, but those pickups you linked to are all too big. An EMG HB is the size of a guitar humbucker, about 2 3/4".

5. jonnymac

jonnymac Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Ah sorry. Guess I should have read it better. I've heard good things about the SGD's though.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Bartolini make pickups in this size, Rio Grande Pitbulls(I have one, nice pickup), Any guitar pickup with blades instead of polepieces, Schaller BassBuckers, plenty more too...

7. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Thanks, I'll have a look.

Hmm, maybe 2 Joe Barden HB's? Hmm.

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Oh man, that could be great!

I have basses with guitar pickups, and they've sounded good, I can't see why these wouldn't.

I have some of their P-Bass pickups, and for me, they're the best P pickup I've ever heard.

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Some guitar pickups with blades will work, but some won't sound good for bass. Depends on how they are wound.

I also make HB sized bass pickups in a few styles, closed cover, dual blade open cover, closed chrome cover, and open top chrome cover with a screen like a vintage pickup.

:bassist:

Here's two of them.

SGD_HB.

10. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    I'm glad you said that, because it caught me off guard when I read that some people use guitar pickups in basses. There are sooooo many replacement pickups out there for guitars and basses, and each one tries to distinguish itself from every other one by mentioning how it's wound a little differently, or has slightly more or less DC resistance or a different resonance peak.

I've never compared the data between bass and guitar pickups before... but I guess I assumed there would be differences between them with regard to those things? Is that not the case at all?

I have an EMG 89 in a guitar I'm not using... would it be worth trying out or no?

11. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Generally the cleaner sounding the guitar pickup, the better it would work with bass. Hot guitar pickups are wound to have an upper mid peak which might be nasal or boxy sounding on bass, but some people do like things like the X2N on bass, if you aren't looking for an open sounding pickup.

You can try the 89, it might sound fine.

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I contacted a rep at DiMarzio to ask what the difference was between the X2N and the X2NB because I wanted one with a wider field like the X2N7, and he replied that there was no difference in the pickups beyond marketing and that the X2N7 would work just fine as a bass pickup. I have one in a Squier and it has a big midrange punch and is hotter than hell. I may leave it like that or try to lower it a little (still working on that bass so I haven't finished).

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    The X2N and X2NB are different. The X2NB is not wound as hot. The X2N7 is the same as the B.

I have the exact specs around somewhere... I'll post them when I find them.

14. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    i KNEW i should have saved that email telling me they were the same pickup. maybe i did, i'll look for it later.

15. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Right from the DiMarzio spec sheet:

X2N - 15.8K

X2N7 - 13.97K

The 7 has longer bobbins, so that means the DC resistance would be higher with the same number of turns.

I have to find the specs for the X2NB, but I think it's similar to the 7, but with shorter coils, so maybe 11-12K.

From the X2N7 description:

So.. different pickup. Wound more like the SuperDistortion than the X2N.

16. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I meant that I was told that the X2N and the X2NB were the same, the X2N7 is wider.

17. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Someone didn't know what they were telling you, because they aren't the same. The X2NB is not wound as hot. It's more similar to the X2N7, which is also not wound as hot. The X2NB is about 12K (like the Model One, which uses the same bobbins). The X2N is 15.8K.

18. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    That is entirely possible. It is my responsibility to share all of the misinformation that I get! To be fair tho I wasn't aware it was wrong and took the information at face value. Or misread it. Either way thanks for the clarification!