1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG HZ mod to active??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slinginsix, Mar 13, 2008.

1. slinginsix

slinginsix

Jan 11, 2005
    upstate ny
    Hello, I"m thinking about changing out the stock EMG HZ in a Schecter Stilleto Custom 5, to the modern active EMGS...what tone improvements might I expect?:bassist:

2. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

Oct 5, 2007
    Portugal
    A hotter output and a very bright sound.

3. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I did this, wow! Once you put in new pickups you actually get a great tone, those HZ pickups really suck!

My personal recommendation is the P-J (classic combo) choice. If I was you I would look at the EMG website, find the combination of your favourite bassist, and go for that. Doing that saves allot of time and money. For me, the choice for the 40J in the bridge and the 40P5 at the neck was simple, Byron Stroud (fear factory/ strapping young lad/ zimmers hole) uses them, end of story.

4. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Oh yeah, amke sure you add a second 9V battery. Having an 18V power supply really brings out the character of the pickups.

5. slinginsix

slinginsix

Jan 11, 2005
    upstate ny
    Thanks!! Sounds Like i want to do this modification...

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

+1!

I suggest DC/CS at neck/bridge.