EMG HZ (passive) solderless issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassGoesBoom, May 21, 2021.

1. BassGoesBoom

BassGoesBoom

May 21, 2021
    Hello

My first post here. Hope any of you can help me figure this out, thanks.

I recently bought an FGN JMJ-ASH-DE-M bass which has active EMG PU's.
    Link for specs: JMJ-ASH-DE-M / FGN Guitars

While I love everything about the bass I wanted to replace the PU's with passive electronics instead.
    So "easy thing" I thought as EMG has solderless solution and I have no skill with soldering.

Therefore I purchase a EMG SJHZ and a EMG MMHZ as replacement.
    Links: SJHZ
    MMHZ

Little did I know that there was no wiring kit included.
    So I started to research which wiring kit to get and learned that I had to find one with 250k or 500k pots as they are used for passive PU's.

Then I purchased the "EMG 1 or 2 Pickups HZ Wiring Kit" from Thomann (as I'm located in Europe) which has 500k pots - However, the pots themselves states both 250k and 500k on them?
    Link: https://www.thomann.de/intl/emg_1_or_2_pickups_hz_wiring_kit.htm

So I followed the manual from EMG's website and connected everything as instructed and...nothing happened.
    Manual: https://www.emgpickups.com/pub/media/Mageants/m/m/mm_hz_instructions_0230-0262.pdf
    I went through all the wiring and the manual once more and it was still the same. No sound at all.
    After troubleshooting for awhile I tried to switch the black and white connection on JACK input and then it worked!
    But, only learn that the sound was extremely treble and if I turned both volume knob all the way up it sounded like only the neck PU (SJHZ) worked. If turned one of the volume knobs down (even just a bit) it sounded like only the bridge PU (MMHZ) worked.
    Electronics are grounded as instructed in manual.
    Battery connection is removed.

I have no idea what went wrong here, so I hope any of you can shine a bit of light on the issue.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Hard to say but it sounds like one of the parts might be bad, like a bad pot or a short in the connectors. I'd start by hooking it up as a single pickup and Master Volume control only for troubleshooting purposes. If the sound goes through you can move on to adding more parts, if not switch the parts around until you identified the bad part.

3. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    It sounds to me like one of the pickups is out of phase. Although none of the plugs look backwards when compared to the diagrams.

What happens if you unplug one pickup?

Flip flopping the two connections on the jack should not result in zero sound, although it should cause a lot of noise if it's backwards. Makes me wonder if there was something else wrong at first (a loose connection?) that you inadvertently fixed when you flip flopped them. If you have a multimeter, you can check the jack to be sure you have ground on the sleeve and signal on the tip.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021