EMG HZ pickups - easy replacements?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Philbiker, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm not entirely happy with the EMG-HZ pickups in my Dean Edge 5. I've been thinking of replacing them, can anyone recommend a drop-in replacement? Realistically I probably will never replace them, but I'd like to at least see what my options are.

My preference is for passive more mellow sounds than bright attacky active sound. For example in my custom jazz where I could have used anything I used single coil (hum and everything) Bartolinis and passive EQ and I'm happy with that.

BTW, are EMG HZ better OEM pickups than EMG Select?
  2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    well if it was me id put EMG-40DC's in instead. they are the same one's that come on usa spectors(five string) but those are active. I dont know much about passive pickups, cause I dont realy like them. but thats just my opinion. im sure somebody will be able to help you.:)
  3. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I would either go with a EMG DC at the neck and a EMG CS in the bridge or some sort of equivalent... they are both humbuckers but the CS has a ceramic bar in it to give a bit of a bite, I'd think it'd have a wide range of tones. Of course thats just me...

4. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Bartolini make EMG sized replacement pickups
    the model number is M4!
    they sound very good and they are passive!!
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thanks Pick I really love the Bartolini sound (and, no offense, dislike the EMG sound) so I'll look.