1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG-HZ problems

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by XaxMan, Feb 13, 2013.

1. XaxMan

XaxMan

Feb 13, 2013
    I have a Schecter Hellraiser 5 with two active EMG-HZ pickups, one on the bridge and one at the neck. My amp is an Ampeg B2RE and a SVT410 cab.

The bridge pickup has been sounding very low with no punch for a while. This was not too much of an issue since I primarily used the neck pickup. But about two weeks ago, the other pickup began doing the same thing. I've replaced the batteries and tried a different amp/cables.

I can hit the strings about the pickup and it will begin working again. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I am fairly mechanical savvy and I think I can fix it as long as I know what it is.

2. Not sure what your problem is, but EMG-HZ's are passive. The EQ is active.

3. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    You might have a short somewhere. Check allthe wires and make sure there aren't any loose ends.

4. XaxMan

XaxMan

Feb 13, 2013
    Ahh. See, I didn't know that it was the eq that is active, not the pickup itself. The battery compartment has two 9 volts so I assumed (ASS out of U and ME I know) that one battery for each.