Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG HZ Replacements

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basslax, Aug 30, 2001.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I am looking for a different sound for my bass (Spector NS-2000/4) and cant afford another bass altogether so i decided i sould look for new pickups. I am looking for a more bassy tone and better quality pickups. What p/us would you suggest that would work in my bass??

Thanks
    Bassax

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    You could always use active EMG's. I'm not sure which ones would fit - I went to their web site and couldn't find the info. I'm pretty sure that they have some that are drop-in replacements.

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    im hesitant to use EMG cus of the quality of the HZs but i heard the active ones are a lot better. ill check it out.

thanks
    basslax

4. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    The actve pups are way different and sound a load better, I use them in 3 or 4 of my basses and you gotta use a preamp with them.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Actually, EMG actives do not require a separate preamp. They come with passive controls. EMG makes preamps you can use with them, but you don't have to.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Like Flatwound said, the EMGs do not require a separate preamp(there is one built into the pickups) and like ThunderStik said, they sound much better than the HZ pickups.

7. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The preamp on the Spector is pretty good though, isn't it? I heard it was the same they used on the Czech Spectors.

8. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Im sorry I should have been more clear, you should really look into using the preamp if use the emg's its worth it.