Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG-HZ sound woody?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bos_mindwarp, Jan 22, 2005.

1. I bought a korean spector ns 2000 the other day, it has emg-hz pickups. Now I liked the lows and amount of it, but highs sound kinda woody, they are there, but they dont have any character =)

So I was wondering if its the pick-ups in general, or the wood or strings? I tried it on several amps, highs were poor on all of them.

Also what pickups fit ns2000?

2. I have an EMG-hz in a spectorcore fretless (in a sweetspot, there's only one pickup). I wasn't very impressed with the tone, in the spot it is- closer to the neck that a stingray, probably close to a Pbass- it sounds very P ish and to be honest indistinct. Im used to Dimarzio ultra jazzes in my jazz bass and this pickup is just kinda flat tone to me. Luckily I have piezos in that bass which I use mostly, then blend in the HZ for a little mid fatness.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I have the NS2000/5, I modded it to run at 18V, then I swapped out the pickups for EMG DCs, which are active, and then I recently upgraded/changed to the 3 band EMG BQC tone circuit from the 2 band EMG BTS.

Next, I'm going to put an EMG CS in the bridge position, to try to control the highs there...

4. You said woody!!!!

The spector in general have very strange high ends in my opinion. It might be the wood of the bass although, Im not familiar with what type they use. I doubt it's a string issue.

5. Its maple/basswood body I think, anyway, I think Ill try some stuff Rev wrote about.

6. If cardboard is a kind of wood, then sure I'd say EMG-HZs sound woody.....

I'd recommend getting rid of them and installing either Bartolini CB or CX, both of which will be more open.

My Dean Rhapsody 12 came with HZs which I swapped for Bartolini CX. It sounds much better now.

7. I just changed strings to GHS Boomers and upgraded to 18V, and I must say, the difference is there, its not amazing, but I guess it will be enough (for now). Good tip.

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Next string change, try D'Addarios maybe. I didn't like boomers when I tried them, but to each their own...

...the 18V, you wired in series, yes? And I've gotten the best results with Duracell batteries.

9. Yeah, in series, and duracell as well. I plan to try out different strings, cos I havent settled yet on boomers, but they were clear improvement over whatever was on it when I bought it.

The good thing about boomers is that they have nice sustain, but I might be just enthusiastic with fresh strings. Lemme comment on them in few weeks =)

10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    +1, do it already!

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    My 20005/s both sound fine in the high end, one's 9V one's 18V, both stock pups/pre. One's strung with D'Addarios the other with EB Slinkies. Maybe I just got a pair of good ones :D

Ray

12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Sounds Fine = Yes
    Sounds better with the DC & CS = Hell Yes

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    By fine, I mean excatly what I've been looking for in the past 6 years of playing - why change it? (IMO, of course)

Ray

14. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    The EMG-HZ series is basically the cheapest real EMGs you can get. Honestly, if you want to get the best tone out of that instrument I would change the pickups to a different EMG pickup. I went from EMG HZs to EMG 35Js and it took my bass from alright to a bass with killer tone and a wide array of useable tones.

-Eric.

15. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Dude! They're in, just waiting for the dough to get them off layaway...and gotta figure out a way to get the WAF!

The fretless NS2000Q5 is getting a 40J and 40TW in the neck and bridge respectively...The TW is a dual mode single/double coil selectable with a push pull pot...in single mode it's a 40J, in double/humbucker mode it's 40CS.

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    OK, so I'm hoping the deal falls through on my 2nd NS2000/5 so I can expirement with pickups in it, though honestly these ones sounds so wonderful IMO, I don't see a point in changing them - perhaps my mind will be changed once I do.

Ray

17. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Oh, you'll be converted alright...
    :D

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I hope not, that'll be expensive...DC+CS + BQC times two...ouch.

Ray