Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG Hz, to keep or not to keep. That is the question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lucasbm, Oct 28, 2004.

1. lucasbm

lucasbm

Oct 25, 2004
    I just bought my first bass (schecter c-4). It comes with EMG Hz pickups. The description that was with the C-4 was "PICKUPS: EMG Hz ELECTRONICS: 2-Vol w/ EMG, Active 2-Band EQ" This is throwing me off because I thought Hz were passive. What is the Active 2-Band EQ?

Some of the reviews that I have read about the Hz are not very pleasing to hear. Would you look into getting a different pickup if you were me? I play rock/metel music, so what would you suggest?

Thanks for the help :D

2. The HZ's are passive. Only the preamp is active.

3. lucasbm

lucasbm

Oct 25, 2004
    Thats what I thought, I just wasn't 100% sure. Thanks

What about some suggestions on the pickup upgrade?

4. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    I have a Schecter custom 5 with the HZ's and I don't like them at all, just way too sterile. I'm personally replacing them with Duncan Basslines ASB-2's as they are not supposed to be sterile at all with good bottom and midrange clarity which is exactly what I'm looking for. I have said I'm going to get those Duncan's for awhile now, (for anybody wondering why I don't have them yet from answering previous posts about EMG-HZ's) but no wonder musicians are always broke, it's going to set me back almost $300.......OUCH!! :bawl:

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Play it for awhile and see if YOU like the sound of them. If not, then look into upgrading. Active EMGs would be a good option. HZs aren't bad, though they aren't for some people.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exactly. If YOU like the sound, that's all that matters.

7. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Overall I prefer passive pups ( that includes EMG.'s) For that bass I would prolly swap out the preamp and keep the pups, if modding it at all....

If you are disatisfied with the way the bass sounds and as you play "heavy" music I would consider the SD pups and a new preamp... Now whether your willing to invest that much in the bass is your call. :confused:

My final thought would prolly leave it stock until I could afford a bass that is closer to what I'm looking for stock. :cool: