EMG HZ vs. Bartolini (45 size..passive)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Dec 17, 2003.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    The EMGs are $150 a pair (stewmac)
    The Barts are $220 a pair (some other site)

I will be using this in my Alvarez 6 string bass. I like the bass, so I don't mind spending a bit to fix it up.

Are the barts worth the extra $70?

I like to play Jazz (especially newer style cool/smooth jazz) and classic rock if that helps.
  2. Ryan OD

Ryan OD

Nov 3, 2003
    Northern VA
    Between those two, I'd pay more and go for the Barts.

Do not spend $150 on EMG HZ's. Go with the DC's for a little bit more, if you want EMG's.
  3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    don't want active pups. I plan on putting coil taps on them, so I need passive pickups.
  4. EMG HZ's that ive seen are normally under $90. I've got them on my schecter. Aint bad, but they are emg's lower line. I dig them however. Overall, you should get Bartolini's if you can afford them.
  5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Honestly, don't bother with the EMG's, I've never had good luck with any of them and I've played them in numerous basses, mostly low end Spectors, still 600 bucks, and they just don't very good, ESPECIALLY the B strings which sound toneless. Get the Barts, spend some extra cash and get a good pickups with great tone, you won't regret it for a second.
  6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Ehhh, I don't mind the B string at all on my Spector Q5 with HZs, though once it's defretted I'll be thinking about something new...however, I don't like Barts, at least in the Modulus I tried that had them...sounded really sterile...in fact, a pro customer of mine bought it, and brought it back a few days later stating exactly that without us discussing it! Ended up with a Warwick with MECs in it, go figure...but I digress...

...see if you can try instruments with barts and EMGs and see which one you like best...let your ear be the judge!
  7. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Since you're playing jazz, especially cooler jazz, I'd definitely go with the Barts. I have a $5-600 Dean bass with Barts, which can't possible be a higher end Bart, and the tone is very rich and smooth, especially with TI roundwounds. I use it as my blues/jazz bass.