Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG-Hz vs. EMG-35P4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Flatwound, May 15, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    K, so I've got a Spector NS2000/4, and it's a nice bass. BUT, I really like the P-bass sound, so I'm thinking of replacing the neck pup with a 35 P4, and the bridge pup with maybe a DC or CS. I'd like to know your opinions of the 35P and what you think I'll gain from this swap. I've already done the 18v. mod, and I figure I'll keep it at 18v., just want to know your opinions of these pups.

2. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Seriously. :)

3. a 35P4 isn't going to sound at all like a traditional P. that said, going with 35-series pickups over HZ-series pickups will be a great improvement in the sound, especially if you are already using 18V instead of 9V.

but it won't sound like a passive P. not even remotely.

robb.

4. Not that I'm suggesting them, but Mighty Mite offers a humbucker-casing with split P coil that may drop right in, and they're cheap money. Like 35 bucks.

www.mightymite.com

[​IMG]

5. Ok, maybe not.

Wouldn't it be awesome if that pup ended up being perfect for the job?

I just ordered 2 passive ones. 40 bucks I could EASILY get back on the 'Bay. I'll throw them in an old P I have, and give you a report.

6. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Cool, Ron. I'll be interested to see what you think. In the mean time, I'm gonna try to find some used 35's.

7. Oh, absolutely. Not trying to talk you out of anything, in fact, my post was more me thinking out loud...

If it's a crapshoot, it's only 40 bucks.

As for the 35P, I would imagine by design it has a very full range, lots or low end, and very accurate. But as was said, prolly not very "P" sounding. That doesn't = bad to me tho.

The only thig I've ever been at issue with active pups is how my overdrives react to them or vice versa. That alone is what drives me back to passives.

I know some equate that to being old-school, or not forward thinking, but it's moreso just what works for me. :bassist:

in fact, here's a NIB on EBay, for a decent price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41427&item=3724731417&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

8. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    I did do several tests on my 4-string (that you can see on the picture in the "action pics" thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115195&page=7&pp=20 )

I tried the 35cs, 35dc and 35j's in the bridge position and a 35p in the neck position. All I can say is that the p/j has the best thumbpunch. I also tried the 35j in the neck position and the 35cs and 35dc in the bridge position, but I din't like the overall sound when both pup's are full on. So I stayed with the p/j setup, warm tone, and phat thumb. Also the p does come pretty close to a P tone, it's very buttery. I did do some recordings and they all likedthe deep thud when played 70's funk.