Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG HZ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Timbo, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Anyone have any opinions on these pickups? Good passive pick-ups or?

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have them in my Spector REX2000/5. Coupled with the EMG BTS active EQ system the bass has, I get all the sounds I need and more. Personally I like them.

However, I have a Euro Spector with DC40 pickups that are better, when I get the money together, the Hzs will get replaced with DC40s.

Not that the Hzs are bad.....just when I can afford it, I'll get better ones! :)

3. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I see... So for somene that doesn't have very much bass experience ( we talkin' 6 months ) they are more than good enough, yeah?

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

It's not so much your experience as how they sound to you! I've been playing for about 15 years now....and I got the Hz equipped Spector 3 years ago!

What bass is it that you're looking at? Have you tried the bass? Did they sound good to you? If not....what type of music is it that you are into playing? Thing is, EMG stuff is sometimes described as a bit hi-fi....which I personally like, but I know some people don't!

I would have been more than happy to have got a bass with EMG Hz pickups when I'd been playing for only 6 months. But there are some out there who wouldn't! :)

5. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Rebop 5, and I play rock - jazz - reggae, When I jam we tryn play quality music, not a certain style, if you know what I'm sayin..

6. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Oh yeah, I've been playing for twelve years and I still love the sound of them with at least a halfway decent preamp. The dc40's are cooler though. I have a set of HZ's in my Spector too and I think they're great man. I wish I had this sound when I was only playing for six months. :(

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    And a damned fine choice of bass!

I'm mostly a rock/metal player and they work fien for that......so I don't think you'll have any trouble with the rock side......reggae...well, there's a lot of bottom end in most of the reggae stuff I've heard, that should be a problem either.

Not really a jazz player or listener......but I think the Rebop should be versatile enough with the Hzs to do just fine! :)

8. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois

I use mine for all types of styles and it's way cool.

9. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Sick, I'll prolly end up getting one then.. :bassist:

10. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think you'll dig it man.

11. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Alright, i'm n00b to what different parts on bass do. ( I did a search couldn't really find an answer ). So this bass has passive pickups but a Aguilar 18-volt OBP-1 active pre-amp. I thought your bass only required a battery if you have active pick ups? And what exactly does a Pre-amp do? Sorry for the newbishness,

-Tim

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Love the HZ's on my Spector!

The preamp boosts and colors the singal. It gives your amp a stronger signal to work with, and generally gives you a wider variation in sound and tone than a passive set up.

13. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've never seen that before either. I've played for 12 years. What they do is use passive pickup and as you mentioned the 18 volt Aguilar preamp so you have bass and treble boost. On top of that you only use one 9 volt battery. They then use a voltage doubler to power the 18 volt system with 1 9volt battery. Very interesting if you ask me. they're sending me the newer Spector Tonepump to put in mine next week. That is the more traditional 9 volt setup.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Same, with my Spector Q5. The HZ's are fine, but there are finer. Really good pickups considering they are stock though.

15. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Got a rebop 5.. :bassist: Definetly rocks... I'm lovin' it.. Mmm mmm good.. :)

16. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I don't like the EMG-HZ Humbuckers at all. Just my personal preference--I hate humbuckers.

--Matthew

17. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    I have hz's on my spector rex 2000/4 they sound great even though in tuned to BEAD ,i may upgrade to dc 40's in the future when i get the funds together ,its safe to say you wont be disappointed with the hz's if you buy them. :D

18. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I got a bass with em, and I aint. I'm gonna post pictures of it later when I find a digital Camera.

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Congrats....can't wait to see the pics of it....when you can put it down long enough to actually photograph it! :cool:

20. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I'm typing with my feet as we speak. :p

* edit * Okay, I got some * HUGE * pictures up, its a spector rebop-5 in the bass's category thing.