Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Emg Hz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by afroman, Apr 6, 2001.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've been playing bass for about 2 1/2 years, and it's about time I get a new bass.

I'm probably gonna buy a Spector NS2000/5 that has EMG HZ pickups. Please tell me more about the quality and the sound of these pickups. Are they good?

I can't afford the expensive Spectors with real EMG's (active), so please only give me your opinions about the HZ's.

Any help or advice is welcome...

P.S. My current bass is an Epiphone T-bird IV with one passive split and single coil humbuckers. Just to let you know what pickups I currently play with.

2. I have a Dean Edge Custom 5 equipped with HZs...

The neck and bridge pickups are the same thing, and if the neck PU on my bass is any indication, the HZs are a bit muddy. (The bridge PU has a bad solder joint and is effectively a single-coil, and gets a good J-style tone as a result.)

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have Spectors w/EMG's & Spectors w/EMG-HZ's. The EMG's are much better than the HZ's, but I've played alot of basses in the NS-2000 5Q (which I own) price range & it blows alaw alot of Stock pick ups in basses like Ibanez, Fender Mex Active Dlx, Yamaha's, etc. The HZ's do sound good. If you are unhappy with the sounds of the pickups, you could replace it with EMG's. I don't think you will unhappy with it!!!!

4. For stock pickups, the HZ's are good. I'm sure you'll like them, but eventually switching out the HZ for real EMGs could be a good idea.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    good, but expensive idea. better collect enough money to buy a spector, maybe second hand, equipped with the real EMG. this is my idea.

6. Well I checked the price on Musicians Friend on a NS2000/5 and its $819.00 and unless you're getting a really good deal on the NS2000/5 for cheaper then maybe you should sell everything you own to buy a Czech 5 string from MF. They have a few left at $999.00 (sorry the $799.00's are gone) and are well worth the extra cash. CONSIDER IT! IT WOULD BE THE BEST MONEY YOU WILL HAVE EVER SPENT ON BASS! Otherwise the NS2000/5 with Hz pickups are still great basses with good pickups.