Emg HZ's aint getting it done... need help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Mar 3, 2005.

1. My bass is missing thump and punch. These Hz's that are in my schecter studio suck the big one. I have heard of recommendations of Barts and even Emg DC's.

What would you recommend for that punch and thump that I am looking for.
  2. Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    I would deffinately recommend the EMG DCs, I love EMGs active line but there passive pickups sound like ****, seriously they are so good at making active pickups why would the want to go passive? I have a set of DC45s in my bass and they rock, really growly and articulated with a really nice extended top range that i really dig
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I have HZs in my Spectors, and well, they rock in that. Naturally the basses are brighter/mid-rangey, so that might help, but I don't know so much that it's your pickups in this case...
    Which preamp (if any?) does it have? Mine are matched with an EMG pre, so that might also help.
    If not, then DCs would be my #2 choice. But I wont be chaning these HZs, ever.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    On my Spector, I have an EMG 40DC in the neck spot, and an EMG 40CS in the bridge position...had a second 40DC there, but it was way to harsh in the high end for my liking...so the CS was in there since Sunday night...had a rehearsal tonite, it sounded fabulous!
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I bought a Schec Stilletto wth a set of Bart M34C's and it was so dark it wouldn't play to anything. Only some caps and sophisticated switching turned into a decent player.

Haven't had the EMG's myself but I would give them a crack before M34C's.
  6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    I had a Schecter for about a week and it had those pickups. HZ's are right up there with the absolute worst pickups I've ever tried. No tone at all, even the cheap ceramic OEM "Duncan Designed" blow them away.

Keep in mind your electronics are currently set up for passive pickups. If you want to go with active pups you'll have to change some components.

And if you want a replacement with the same size packaging and mounting holes, your choices will be extremely limited. I think active EMG 35's are the only drop-in replacement. Delano makes a passive 4-string soapbar (SBC) but you'd need to drill a couple of new mounting holes on one side. Good luck...
  7. I thought my bass already had active electronics with passive PU's. Thus the reason for two 9volt batteries...I guess?
  8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Right, the active preamp is using the battery. Passive pups don't use it. If you can find another set of passives that fit, you can wire them the same way as the ones you take out.

Converting to active pickups would require some wiring modifications to run battery power to them, and replacing your volume and/or blend controls.