Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG-Hz's and "real" EMG's, the tonal difference?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tsal, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I was at a instrument expo today, and tried out some Schecter Scorpions - you know, the one's that are stringed BEAD - which had EMG-Hz's and I thought they actually sounded quite decent. Previously I thought they would not be worth considering.

But as I hear people saying how "crap" the Hz's are, what's the difference then? As far as I have understood, Hz's have different tone, so do people accustomed to real EMGs think they are lousy just because they don't imitate the sound of their big brothers, or what's the deal here?

I'm more interested in sound of each kind of pups, I have heard that EMG's sound quite clean and have good highs and balanced output, but might be too 'sterile' for some people's tastes. If so, how do the Hz's sound then?

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Hi TSAL,

just by looking at www.emginc.com the main difference is that HZ's are passive. I'd like to check them out, but I'm gonna try out Bart CBC's for my next project.

3. The HZ's don't sound bad on their own, just if you want the EMG vibe then they don't really imitate their bigger brothers. They're passive, and use the CS design. This means ceramics in the magnets for a warmer tone, like the EMG CS series. However, the pickups are passive and have all the qualities of a passive pickup therefore. Mine sound more vintage than I prefer, with smooth highs and a warmish bottom end, defined but controlled mids. They handle my low B pretty well. I am however upgrading to a 40DC and 40P5. The HZ's aren't bad, they just don't get my interpretation of EMG tone!

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, I have 2 Spector basses just now, the Czech has two EMG DC40 pickups with the EMG BTS (I think preamp). My REX2000/5 has two EMG Hzs in it with the same pre-amp. I have modified both basses to use 18 volts.

When the basses came to me stock, I felt that the REX with it's Hzs had about 90% of the volume (well, they do go through the same preamp) and about 85-90% of the tonal variation. There was just that bit more headroom from the DC40s in terms of bass and treble boost.

Adding the other battery helped the headroom on both.

Generally I play with both pickups on full and the trable and bass at the centre detent position. Although for a similar sound, I find that when I play the REX, I boost the treble slightly and the bass about 2 to 3 times as much as the treble to get a similar sound to the Czech one with a little bass boost!