Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OVERDRIVEN66, Feb 17, 2005.

1. I'm finishing up a non-reverse T-Bird clone (Warmoth Bubinga neck, mahogany body) and will be looking to do the electronics very soon. I have access to chrome plastic covers that will fit over the EMG-HZ pickups so I can retain the 60's look I'm after since finding the real 60's pickups is impossible. How do you think the HZ's will sound in this bass? I know Bartolini makes a replacement T-Bird pickup, but not in chrome, and I MUST have chrome to keep the bass looking like the original. With a little modification, the HZ will fit under the T-Bird covers I can have made, but the Barts would be too big. Any thoughts or ideas?
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    My ESP has HZs and I'm not impressed. They sound OK but I think they lack a bit of the color I remember from my old Active P/J combo Washburn. They seem to get the mids fine, but hiss on the highs and don't have enough presence in the low register. The note is there but fades way too quickly. They're not bad, but I think some kind of actives might be a better choice.
  3. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Active EMGs should also fit your T-Bird. If you want to keep a passive circuit, however, go with the HZs. The problem with the HZs is that people compare them to actives and then bash them for not sounding as good. Compared to MOST passives, I think the HZs sound fantastic.
  4. remember, there are places that can chrome plastic.

I don't think the HZ's I've heard sound bad. EMG isn't in the market to make bad sounding pickups...at least not with the HZ line, which is their cadillac of their passive series...the "selects" are the chevy cavaliers. ;)

I have the Bart in mine. I'm more than happy with the tone. A tad reigned in, but still nice and full and dare I say punchy...which is exactly what I wanted: a pup that had the humbucker character, but wouldn't sent my overdrive pedals into fits too early...capeesh?

I was talking to a friend about having the pickup chrome plated. It's obviously an easy, low-temp process, as they can also chrome rubber. So as long as I'm satisifed after talking to the guy that it will not adversely affect my pickup, I'm going to do it. You should look into plating service places and talk to them about options. Then you won't even need covers.

Rock on. :bassist:
  5. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005

Great idea with the plating! I'm interested to know how it works out.
  6. In this case, it's a process called vacuum metallizing. It's how companies apply reflective surfaces for pieces like auto headlight compartments and grilles. Looks great, and is versitile... I believe Fender may have utilized this porcess for their smoke-chrome knobs on the Aerodyne basses, but I could be wrong.

The main concern is how well the back contacs and whatnot can be masked off / protected, and whether the pickup is or is not submersed in anything that can ruin the pickup.

There are some excellent articles online on the subject that I;ve the need to bone up on.

If I do it, (it would involve putting my bass out of commission for a bit :( ) I most surely will report with pics.

7. Please let us know how the plating works out. I've contacted a company in California that will plate my fabricated covers for $10 each for electroplate. Just bought the pickup and will fabricate the cover and give it a go. I'll also report with results, but may take a few weeks.