Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG HZs vs Actives

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tash, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm thinking about swaping the stock HZs in my ESP to actives. My bass already has an active EQ and battery so I wouldn't need any routing or extra wiring.

Has anyone done this and were you satisfied with the switch? HZs seem to be pretty common on lower end basses, and while adequate I'd like to get some more color in my tone, as well as ditch the slight hiss I get when I crank any of the EQ knobs on my bass past 30% or so.

Would this be a good idea or am I barking up the wrong tree?

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Swapping your HZs for active EMGs will definitely give you a different tone.....whether it's the tone you are searching for is yet to be seen. You should borrow a bass with the pickups you plan on using and play it through your rig. This will give you a close idea of what to expect. Also keep in mind that you will need to change your volume pot and cut the bridge ground that your HZs currently have. Active EMGs are internally grounded. I did this very thing on an ESP. I swapped a pair of EMG HZ 35-EPs for an EMG P and DC and preferred the tone of the HZs. It is an expensive lesson to learn if you aren't pleased with the results. Let us know how it all works out.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    There's a lot of threads on this same topic, a lot of them are current. If you do a search, you should find some of the answers you're looking for.

:D

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Sorry if I jumped the gun, it was a spur of the moment kind of question.

Reading up on them a little more I find that most of the cool sounding choices in EMGs active range are for 4 inch housings. The 35 HZs in my bass are 3.5 inch housings. That means some wood has to come out to use any of the other pickups right? Would they even work since my string spacing is apparently designed to accomadate 3.5 inches?

Also would I need to add a second battery anyway? My EQ uses a 9 volt, would they be able to share or would that be too much of a drain on each active circuit?

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The 35 and 40 designations refer to the pickup lengths. The 35s are for four string basses and the 40s are for five strings. The lengths have nothing to do with the tone. If you have 35s now, replace them with 35s. As for the power supply, you should add another 9v battery. EMG suggests that you use 18v of power to acheive maximum headroom. Hope this helps......

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    One more thing.....what model ESP are you using?

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    F205 5 string. The official specs say they are HZ35s, maybe I should measure them.

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yes, in the F-205 the Pickups are 4 inches. Good luck with the swap.