Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by creeping_deth, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Hey, I've been lookin at this bass in my local music store. It's a Spector Czech made, think it's two years old, and it has EMG HZ's in it. Now I was told this bass is active but on the Spector site they say the new bolt on czech's are passive, I don't know if they changed that on the new ones. Also my friend who's a guitarist bought an ESP KH-502 and it had HZ's on it and they were for sure passive because he ended up getting EMG 81's to replace it. Now my question is are the Bass HZ's active or not? and the dickhead at the music store was no help so just tell me if you've seen active HZ's, thanks
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    HZ prolly stands for Hi-Z, meaning high impedance. Passive pickups are high impedance, so there you go. The EMG-HZ's are definitely passive, but there are a number of active basses that use them, including some Spectors. This is done by putting a preamp in the control cavity, thereby making the bass "active". The pups are still passive, though. I think if you go to the EMG website at www.emginc.com, you can find a little info on these pups.
  3. Hi creeping death! I have a Czech Spector that is about 2 years old - it has active EMG pickups with and an onboard pre-amp. However, I also have a Korean made Spector and they use EMG HZ pickups on that.

The HZ pickups to my knowledge are not active in themselves, however the Spector will have an onboard preamp - you'll can check this as on the back there is the cover for the control cavity, removing this will reveal a battery under it!

Are you sure that it's a Czech Spector??? As far as I've known they've used EMG either soapbars on the 5 string like mine and P and J actives on the 4 stringers.

If you check the back of the headstock it'll tell you wher it was made - I suspect at this stage that it's a Korean Spector.

But the answer to your main question is HZs are active pickups!!! (BTW it will still be an active bass 'cos of the onboard pre-amp in the bass!)
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Johnny Boom Boo- Yeah, the Spector is an active bass because of the preamp, but that doesn't change the fact that EMG-HZ pups are passive. Maybe that's what you meant to say, I'm not sure.
  5. cool guys, thanks for clearing thatstuff up. Yes, it is for sure crafted in the Czech republic, it says so on the head stock.
  6. Flatwound - you spotted my deliberate mistake!! I actually contradicted myself in my post. D'oh!!!

Yes you are totally correct in correcting me - I'd meant to say they were passive pickups!!!!