Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG Hz's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dougray, May 18, 2002.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i just purchased a bass with EMG Hz's it has 1-9volt battery,can i wire in series another 9volt(18volt total) without messing up the pre-amp? i have EMG jazz pickups in my other bass and i wired them for 18volt ,18volt gives more headroom supposely,,any info...thnx...

2. I honestly wouldn't. I did some hunting around on the net, i found the pickups but they were all passive pickups so therefore i assume that the 9 volt is for your onboard preamp. Probably wouldn't want to run 18 volts through something designed for 9. Put too much stress on the IC's.

But hey maybe someone else has tried this and its worked.

:D:D

Merls

3. Oh yeah i think i'll shift this to pickups to see if it gets a better response. if not shove it back over here near the warm cosy fire ;)

:D:D

Merls

4. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    THANX ,MERLIN...

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Some preamps can be converted to run on 18v, but without knowing exactly what preamp you bass has, I'd be leery of experimenting.

Do you slap? That seems to be the usual reason for 18v systems, to give more headroom and faster response.

6. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i play with my fingers but not necessarly slap,i dont know exactly what pre-amp it has,its a schecter "elite" 5 string with EMG Hz pickups,,thnx..

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Ask Schecter. Some OEM's (like Spector) use EMG preamps with the HZ's. If that's the case with your bass, I think you're cool with 18v. On the EMG website you can find info about what voltages are acceptable with their circuits.