Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG in P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Persuader, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    How do you P bass owners like EMG's in this bass?

What other PUP's give the best P tone..or is the stock PUP good enough?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have EMG's P-set in my Squier affinity P-bass. AWESOME TONE! I am actually liking it more than my american fender jazz right now. Usually I have to use a SansAmp BDDI to faten up my jazz, but my P doesn't need it, though it is a good way to add some tubish warmth and drive.

3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Lindy Fralin.

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Seymour Duncan Basslines Quarter Pound.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I liked the EMG but I went back to a Dimarzio Model P. Love that passive Precision growl.

6. I have the Seymour Duncan Basslines Quarter Pound (doesn't that sound like something you'd order from McDonald's?), too. They're pretty good for lows and mediums but their slap tone is only so-so. They're not hi-fi enough for me, and they're pretty noisy. I'm replacing them with EMGs -- I'll tell you what those sound like when I get them.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Blanket recommendations are tough since there are so many variables.

And comparing it to the stock pup depends on the model - MIM, MIA, RI, etc.

My favorite of the aftermarket P pickups was the Nordstrand. The EMG can sound great in the right bass, but I wouldn't call it a vintage P tone.

8. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    This P bass is a ' 78,ash body,maple neck with flatwounds...I think I prefer the 'classic' P tone that is on many recordings.

9. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Lindy Fralin!!!!! I second that!

10. funky plunky

funky plunky

Mar 18, 2004
    what would be good pickups for modern P tone, im looking for a hot output sound thats got this kind of deal

lows: 6 mids:8/9 and highs:3/4.

11. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    USA Precision 4 string - ash body maple neck/board

I replaced the EMG 18 volt system in my Precision bass with a set of Alembic Activators......I couldn't be more pleased.

neither of these sets are classic P tone......but the Activators retain that authority of the P bass and have superior balanced response compared to anything else I've ever tried.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I can't think of any with that eq curve.
    I'm not sure what you mean by modern P. When people say that, sometimes they mean 'vintage +' or they mean 'modern slap friendly'.

EMG P's certainly don't have those sort of mids on their own.
    DM Model P pickups have lots of mids, and sound great but it's not a classic P sound really IMO.
    SD QP's worth considering also.
    I thought the Nordstrand NP4 was the best 'vintage +' pickup I tried - the P thump with an open high end for clarity.
    The Bart P's certainly have a muted high end and strong low / low mids from everything I've heard.

You might also want to consider Villex pickups, they have high output and a passive mid control.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The stock pickup IS the P bass sound :meh:

Replacement pickups give different colors, the EMG adds highs and lows and more clarity overall.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The DiMarzio Will Power Middle is a great pup. I also appreciate the fact that the pole pieces aren't exposed so I don't get clicking noises since I usually play right over the pickup (fingerstyle).

The DiMarzio tone chart shows that bass and mids are both 7+ but I find the mids really strong...

15. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I'm a big fan of the EMG P; they are great for recording. However, I'm also a big fan of a modern sound with more highs and lows. You can definitely coax some nice mids, but you will never get the punch of a passive pickup. Maybe the new line of Bartolini CB pickups might be a good compromise: passive, but more transparent, wider range.

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree with Dave on the Nordstrand. I'm very happy with how it sounds in my MIA P-Bass. I've also had the DiMarzio-P, the Duncan Quarter Pounder, and an EMG-P in various P-Basses I've owned over the years.

To answer your question on the EMG-P: IMO it sounds very good. It doesn't have a 'vintage' tone of course, but I really like it's added definition and clarity. I presently have the EMG-P in my fretless P-Bass, where I think it does a wonderful job.

Obviously, the DiMarzio and Duncan Quarter Pounder offer increased output and a wider frequency response compared to the stock pickup. EMG offers this also. I personally prefer the EMG's sound over the DiMarzio and the Quarter Pounder, but YMMV.

Just my 2 cents. Art