1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG Install Vintage Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by joeybcdt, Jan 12, 2012.

1. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    My bass player has a 1963 Fender Jazz that he's played for over 30 years. After playing my '92 Jazz with EMG's he decided to go active. He ordered the EMG JX.

There is no room in the control cavity for the 9v battery. He refuses to do any body routing. Right now, the 9v is hanging out of the control cover....just dangling there.

Is there another solution?

Joey

2. That's a real shame.

3. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Velcro to body is the solution.

4. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    He is a good man for not wanting to cut up the body. Perhaps a longer cord and attatch it to the strap somehow? Like a wireless system?

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The easiest thing to do is to wire up a short stereo cable. Then attach a small project box like you would find in Radio Shack with a stereo jack, and put the battery in there. It can be attached to his strap. Also on that box would be a mono jack for his main cable to his amp.

An alternate way is to use a long stereo cable and put the power at the amp end, or at a pedal board.

Inside the bass the battery clip would be bypassed and have the power wire going right to the ring terminal at the jack. Power would be brought in there.

6. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    Check out this video with Ed Friedland...@ about 5:58 he does the install. Seems like your Bass player's problem is a simple fix, don't use the lock washers!
    EMG JVX Pickups.mov - YouTube

7. tradernick

tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    Thank goodness for that.
    Useful link, thanks. You'd have to make sure to change the battery out at home every xx months even if it doesn't need changing, as opposed to ripping the control plate off during a break at a a gig, but it's cool to know I can try these without routing out my Jazz bass.