Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG into Fender Preamp Installation help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkvibe, Jun 3, 2005.

1. funkvibe

funkvibe

Jun 3, 2005
    Hey everyone, this is my first post. I recently purchased an American Deluxe Fender FMT 4, which I have fallen in love with. I own a number of high end basses, and I have to say, this has become my number one. However, being the EMG fan that I am, I purchased a J set of EMGs to have installed. The FMT comes with an 18volt Preamp system. Could anyone please give me some instructions that I could print out on wiring etc. I have contacted the EMG tech guy 3 times w/ no luck because he doesn't have a diagram of the Fender system and the store that I would like to install these things already tried and said they didn't know how to install a system where the pickup has a pre-existing preamp into a seperate preamp. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Did you know that all Fender wiring diagrams are available on their website?
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/index.php

From there, looking in the bass section I see two wiring diagrams for FMT Jazzes. Both look pretty much the same, but I haven't spent a lot of time comparing them side by side.

The existing pickups are passive from what I see, so you / the tech needs to do a few things:

Take out the old pickups
    Replace the blend pot - to 25K from existing 250/500K
    Put in new pickups - where the diagrams say yellow wire from pickup you should use the inner wire from the EMG pickup. Where they say black wire from pickup, you should use the outer braid on the EMG wiring.
    Splice in the pickup red wires with the red wire battery coming from the battery to the pc board.

3. funkvibe

funkvibe

Jun 3, 2005
    I appreciate the quick response and advice. The store I am taking it too is located in a small town where they have never had to install an active pickup into active electronics. Further, I don't know the first thing about wiring, so you have been a lot of help. Thanks again.