EMG J and EMG 35J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Any difference between the single-coil EMG J and the soapbar EMG 35J. Frankly, a humbucker would look sick, but is there a difference between the two, before I decide to order one? This would be going in the bridge position. It is a vacant slot right now and would have to be cavitied to make room for the added pup.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

not up on it but if you still had concern after reading their site info, I would contact them before buying.

The primary advantage to a soapbar to me is that you can stick whatever coil config you want in that housing without changing the routing.

My guess is if the site says their the same and the thickness of both pups is within bonds, they're likely exactly the same internally - as that would be most cost effective from a profit margin perspective. But I don't know.
  3. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I agree with Ron, but email EMG to confirm. I've found them fast to respond to questions and helpful.
  4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Let me just say one thing, as good of pickups as the 35Js are (I have 2 on my main bass), they have very poor bass response in the bridge position. If I want Jaco-like tone I would keep the bridge at full and the neck at around 40%. Otherwise, you lose a lot of bass soloed. If you try to compensate with Bass EQ, you'll lose that knarly growl from your sound.

Great in conjunction. Look into the EMG 35TW. It's dual-coil and single coil in the same pickup. More configs with the same price.

5. Cool! I really need my P grinding, without ripping off the sound of my J bass, and plus a humbucker in the bridge position just looks damn cool.
  6. hi,
    a question. i was thinking about getting two of the 35j's. do you run them on two 9 volt batteries? or you do you wire them up to one?

im looking for some pickups that will give me a good passive tone like fender pickups. what kind of sound do these put out?