Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG j pups connected to 18V?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by soulbrother, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Hi all,

Is it possible to connect 2 9V batteries to my EMG J pups? I do not use any active electronics to go with it. Is it a big improvement? Where do I find information about this? Thank you!

Werner.

2. I have the EMG PJ set and it is very cool. I was thinking of doing something like that with my guitar so I'll wait and see what the others think.

3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Are they the Actives? Check out my page for all the information you could possibly need:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mgollihur/emgmod.html

4. Thank you very much for your help!!

5. Another vote for running EMGs at 18V. In all the basses I've done it to, the sound was much warmer and fuller, while stilll having plenty of EMG clarity. Plus, the rise in output is nearly negligible, I never had problems with them clipping the front end of amps, which is what a lot of people seem to think it'll do.

mike
    dude's roadie

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have a Q 5 with EMG's and a 9 volt circuit,and I tried the second method on this page involving 3 9 volt battery clips,I checked everything twice,clean solder joints,well insulated etc. but all I get when I plug the bass in is silence...(yes,the batteries are fresh.)
    What am I not seeing here?

7. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    It's important to make sure that the battery polarity is correct - ensure that the wiring is EXACTLY like the diagram, and that the correct plug is being mated to the original clip. It's more complex than it looks.

Other than that, I don't know...

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just updated the electronics in my Steinberger XM2A this past weekend. I installed a newer set of EMG-HBs (the originals had HAZ Labs connectors rather than the "normal" quick-disconnects) and a EMG-BTC System.

I first wired them up with a single 9V, and all was well - they sounded good. Then I spliced in a second 9V. Wow - what a difference! Exactly as ohiobob said - much warmer and in your face, with a lower S/N ratio to boot. Being able to A/B them like this was very helpful.

I've become a big believer in 18V for EMGs!

9. That diagram for the three 9V connectors is wrong.

all three should be connected red-black, and it doesn't matter which one you connect to the one in the bass......

i'll try to justify....
    i assume red is positive, as usual....

when the wire in the bass expects a positive connection, you're attaching the smaller of the two contacts.....on my connector, the black wire is connected to it. if you connect this to another black wire, the other end of that wire is another small connector, which will connect to a negative on the first battery.

does that make sense? here's the right way:

the small connector in the bass expects a large contact on the battery. when you attach connector to connector, the large contact on the connector has the red wire. to attach the wire to the large contact on the battery, you need a small contact on the connector to the battery....black wire.

i put it together yesterday without looking at the page, and i played it for 5 hours.....then today i came and saw what that webpage actually tells you to do, and realized it's wrong, and that's why virtual.ray's bass is silent.

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Wow - I just may have to try this!

:cool:

11. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    No output = connections are wrong or you cut another important wire.

Make sure that the spliced battery clip is getting the "neg" from the original clip going to the "pos" of it's terminal. Then the "neg" on the new clip should be going to the "Sleeve" pole of the jack. If you use the "Neg" pole of the jack, it wouldn't work.

And also, check the quick connect cables on the pickups (if you took it off). When I did an install on my VJ4, I had the clip upside down and it made no noise.

Finally, if all else fails, rewire it the way it was and start over. Or do the 3 battery clip device that connects to the 9v clip in the bass using 2 batteries (pic below).

12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I keep almost doing this to my bass and then panicking that I don't know what the preamp is and if it will be happy with 18v power. (The bass is an '87 Warwick Streamer and the EMG pickups are original, anyone know what preamps these had?). Help!!!

Alex

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Diz-ang it! Doesn't look like two batteries will fit in the cavity of my J bass :(

14. depends on the size of pots.....my emg pickups came with a new set of pots which are a lot smaller than the stock pots...if it weren't for those pots, and me running the wire all around the neck pickup, i could never have fit the two batteries...

actually, i couldn't at first, when i used that three-connector setup. i could fit everything, but couldn't find room for the connector-connector connection B+)

so i hardwired two connectors in there. still, if i want only 9 volts for whatever reason, i took another 9V connector and just connected the two wires comming off of it. that way, i can replace one of the batteries with that, and not resolder anything.

15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    No. Milothicus is correct when he says the diagram is wrong. If you wire it like the diagram you will be reversing the polarity going to the circuit.

Wire them all the same: Black to Red in one continueous circle. This way the polarity will be correct. A side benefit will be that it won't matter which clip is clipped to the pre-amp clip and which other 2 clips get used for the batteries.

16. I know what will fit..

a router bit :D

17. I put some active J's in my MIM Fender J and the 18v circutry fit....
    I just had to jump on the control plate a bit... :)

Seriously though, try shortening the wires, cause they are very long. Just literally cut sections out, remove the plastic (with a wire stripper, or a lighter and some newspaper/ a really callused hand), and then twist them back up and cover them with some electrical tape. It's really not a difficult procedure, and the extra space really helps out. I've had those two batteries crammed in there for 6 years and I've had not one problem.

18. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    That's your page? You da man!

There should be a sticky with that link...

19. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ

(Blush)

Glad you find it useful!