1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG J-Set for Marcus Miller Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kirkm24, Apr 5, 2009.

1. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Has anyone tried these pickups in the Marcus Miller Jazz? I know how EMG's "take over" a bass but I am looking for the "active" sound that they provide. I want a little more crispness up top and deeper bottom down low. I used to have a MIM Jazz with the EMG J set that IMO sounded really good. I like the sound of my current configuration all right but all of the controls on the John East are a little too much and I wanted something a little more simple.

My other option I was considering was to get a Bartolini 2 band preamp to use with the existing Antiquity pickups.

Just soliciting some thoughts.

2. ms1369

ms1369

Feb 16, 2008
    chicago burbs
    I have not tried EMG's in my MM4 but always like how they sound in Jbasses. They sound really nice here
    I tried SD Antiquity1's in my MM4 and ended up puting the stock pickups back in. I think they cop the Marcus vibe much better though they do seem to be missing something.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Bartolini 2 band is a great sounding preamp for that deep smooth bottom with clarity. I had one in a KSD705 and it sounded just awesome. EMG's don't sound that organic to me, but if you want "that sound" I am not sure where else you can get it. The Marcus Miller signiture is IMO a really great bass. All that is lacking is the preamp. Depends what kind of a sound you want. I have the EMG J-Set, and I am trying to decide if it is worth putting in my 70's Classic Jazz...

4. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I agree about the natural vibe that is lost with EMG's. I guess I am on the fence about the whole thing. The John East sounds great but it is very complex with all the knobs, switches, etc. I really want something more simple. The Bart 2 band is becoming a very attractive.

5. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Try the EMG JV'S They are the exposed pole piece vintage Jazz pickups. Sound more stock

6. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I took a look at those on the website. They look interesting but they seem to be EMG's attempt at a vintage pickup and I already have a fine set in my bass with the Antiquity II's in terms of a good vintage pickup. I put my John East up for sale to see if I get any bites but if I don't, I'll just stick with it. It's a good preamp but like I've said, it's a lot of knobs and switches and I would like to have something a little more simple.

7. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well I kept the Antiquity II pickups and swapped out the John East with an Aguilar OBP-1. I wired it for 9V operation and it sounds awesome. It has the deep lows and crisp highs I've been looking for without all the complicated controls like the John East. It also seems to have less midrange than the John East which I think I like better too.

I think the thing I like the most about the Aguilar is that it retains the natural tone of the bass and only boosts the bass and treble frequencies. I think the John East definitely had some coloration which some might really like. For me, I think the Aguilar is really what I after all along. Good deep bass, crisp highs and simple controls. I think this is a great preamp for the Marcus Miller if anyone is looking.

I'll also give kudos to Bestbassgear.com for providing the preamp pre-wired with the pots and an on/off switch. Arrived 2 days after I ordered it and it was a total snap to install even after modifying it for 9V instead of 18V. I even e-mailed Brian to ask him about the 9V operation and I got a response within minutes. Thanks a million!