1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG J set wired differently

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by joeyl, Oct 13, 2006.

1. I just got a set of EMG Js. I looked at the wiring diagram, and I see that the braided part of the hot lead needs to be soldered to the back of the pots. I feel that soldering to the back of the pots is a no-no!! I will connect the braided part of each pickup lead to 2 wires that will connect it to the ground lug of the output jack
    see attachment..
    Any comments?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think they suggest that because it is the convenient way to deal with the braided wire sort of ground connection. Are you still soldering the ground lug of each volume pot to the back of the pot? If so, the pots must be connected to ground in some way or your volume pot won't function correctly! It sounds like you want to just connect all the ground connections to the output jack- this works, it will just be pretty crowded- think, a wire from each pot and a wire from each pickup= 5 wires all hooked to the same lug! Thats why they suggest the kind of wiring in the diagram- no more than 2 wires attached to any 1 surface, so it is very clean/ neat and less prone to bad solder joints- it is also easier to diagnose a bad connction their way.
    What is your problem with soldering to the back of the pots?

Karl Zickrick

3. well soldering to the back of the pots for me gets messy, it seems like I cannot get a clean tack of solder to stick to the back of the pot. And I am worried of killing pots all the time with too much screwing around to get the solder right

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

The pots need to be grounded but you can skip ground leads all together by just running copper shield strips (or equivalent) on the floor of the control bay from pot to pot, that's what I do. You could just tac a lead onto the pup braid and screw it into the copper shielding - do a star ground like deal. The pot has to contact the strips of course and you can check with a meter to verify a decent ground. I've even seen guys just solder leads from pot lock washer to lock washer. Whatever works.

You need a hot gun like 40 or 50 watts to solder decent to pot backs. You can use a 15 or 20 watt gun if it has a fat tip but those pencil tip jobs for tacking to lugs won't cut it. They make solder guns with screw in tips you can change to use for both.

5. Flux paste is handy for soldering the back of pots too.

6. If you use an emory board or piece of sandpaper to scuff the back of the pot it makes it easier to solder.

~Stan

7. yeah I forgot why I don't need the back of the pots soldered, I have a J bass and that plate should be grounding the pots, right??
    thanks everybody for the comments

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep grounding plate, same thing.

9. akupadamu

akupadamu

Feb 9, 2010
    hi, can i get more big picture? i need this attachment :). somebody help me.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    sorry, that's just not correct.

properly soldering grounds to the pot casings doesn't harm them and makes for the simplest, and therefore most reliable, wiring arrangement.

(ground is ground inside a guitar, so rigging up some other way won't really matter electrically, just mechanically.)