Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG J set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr P, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Yeah !!! Sure !!! Go for it !!!

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Yep.

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Nope.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. Don´t ruin your wood, man...

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Mr P

Mr P

Feb 13, 2002
    Finland, Tampere
    UGH !

Do EMG J set work good with my Jazz Bass?
    I still want to have the original sound, but wíth more depth in controls.

P

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I have a set in my MIM Fender Jazz, and I love 'em!

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you just change the pickups, you'll still have the same controls, that is, vol/vol/tone. Maybe what you're looking for is an onboard preamp? Or maybe I'm reading your question wrong?

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I love the EMGs in my Jazz. I'd definitely recommend them....

That said, it sounds like EMGs may not be what you are looking for - a 'vintage' sound with flexible EQ, if I understand correctly.

Maybe you should check around to see what other pickup and/or onboard pre will best suit your tastes. BTW, I installed mine without altering the bass any (it's been over 10 years ago, but if memory serves...).

Hope that helps! :)

5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    They are an easy upgrade. If you buy a set off of ebay and decide you don't like them, you can usually resell them for the same amount.

If you just use the pickups and V-V-T layout, a battery will fit under the controls easily and the foam that comes with the pickup packaging is a good battery retainer. You won't need to do anything to the wood of the bass.

The sound is EMG, it is going to change the tone from natural to hi-fi, so to speak. Most people here would agree that it's worth a shot, even if they hate EMG. It isn't hard to upgrade, it sounds good to about 1/2 of the Talkbass crew, and to decide whether you like EMG pickups, this is a good way to find out.

Judging by the influences you list, EMG will make you happy.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't think that the EMG's will fit the bill. IMO, you might wanna look into to a different preamp like the Sadowsky Pre-amp/DI Pedal or the J-Retro preamp pedal. I own a Sadowsky preamp pedal & it retains "the original sound, but wíth more depth in controls."

I've never played the J Retro pedal but I've read alot of good things about it on TB & the Pit. I've tried a bass the onboard J Retro & it did nothing for me.

7. I had a set of EMG JV pickups in a MIM Jazz a few years ago with the EMG BTC active bass and treble controls.The JVs still sound like the passive Jazz pickups but with no noise.The BTC fits on the regular three hole control plate and there is just enough room for the battery in the control cavity.I thought they sounded great and the BTC worked pretty well too.A J retro would give you more control of your tone and the outboard J Retro or Sadowsky would be the easiest without modifying your bass.