1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG J Vintage

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bodhan, Aug 14, 2003.

1. bodhan

bodhan

Nov 19, 2002
    Brazil
    Hi!I am from Brazil, playing in a jazz and brazilian music amateur big-band.
    I would like to share an experience:
    I have a fretless JB copy with EMG JV pickups (wich is supposed to have a vintage JB sound). I bought recently a MIM fretted JB with the "new enhanced pickups" wich sounds good. Since I am playing more the MIM fretted, I decided to put the EMG on it. The EMG JV sounded terrible ! Too muddy and airless for a fretted bass,even with the 18V mod. If I want a muddy and sound, I can just turn the tone knob down ! I'll try the stock MIM pickups on my fretless. I'am afraid I'll love it ! I'm a little bit disapointed with the EMGs. Do they just have a nice big botton or I'm missing something ? I feel the EMGs a little compressed sound, it's like I have more dinamic control over the passive stock MIM Fender pickups.
    Well, I know this is a topic discussed earlier, I know that tone is a matter of taste. So maybe I'm starting to think about other pickup brand/style.
    Thank you all !