Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG-J vs noiseless, EMG-P vs. 1/4lb

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by origami, Nov 4, 2005.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I have a Fender Geddy.

I removed the original fender pick-ups because with EMG-Js because I play directly over the pickup and the exposed pole pieces roughed up my fingertips.

I also play bridge pick-up full, and use the neck pick-up and tone knob to vary my brightness or low-end to suit the paticular tone of the song. Usually the neck pickup and topne are about 60%. since both pick-ups are not on full, I had to replace the Fender Factory pick-ups with non-single coils (EMG) to reduce hum.

I replaced the pick-ups with EMG J's and use the passive tone knobs. The sound is okay, but I was thinking of going replacing them with Fender noiseless Jazz bass. Since the noiseless take care of the hum and the poles are not as exposed.

Thoughts? with this be an improvement for stage and studio?

I also own a Fender Steve Harris P-Bass. I replaced the SD 1/4 lb pickup with an EMG-P, but have thought of putting the old one back in.

Thoughts? Keep the EMG or go back to the 1/4lb?

thanks

mm

2. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    i am not a big fan of EMG's. to me they are a bit harsh and not as smooth.
    I have the SPB-3 and i dig it. nice and deep and not as harsh.

it really depends on what kinda sound and tone you need. i like mine scooped and deep but not boomy!

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I don't think I've ever heard anybody describe EMG tone as okay - if you're talking about the active EMG LJ-5 pair. Players either love it or hate it as a rule. I'm curious as to what it is that's lacking or what they contain that you don't like.

But one thing I experienced was that active electronics seemed (it's been a long time since I used preamps) to take the EMG's to another level. More of everything - deeper, brighter, beefier, cleaner, punchier. That was with the 2 band BTC. The 3 band BQ units I don't remember cause I never mounted one onboard and I ran lots of pups with it as an outboard.

As mahrous said, hard to make recs when you don't know what someone's looking for besides quiet with poles that don't get in the way.

4. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    +1

I've had EMG's J pups paired with their BTC and also with an Aguilar OBP-1-- the active pre does pretty much what luknfur said. The EMG's really come alive with a pre on board. I prefer the Aguilar's tone and like the simplicity of the controls with the OBP-1.

As far as Fender Noiseless J pups, I have them in a J bass (also paired with an OBP-1-- I did mention that I like the OBP, didn't I?). To my ear, they sound pretty much like the vintage Fender J pups that were in the bass before but without the hum.