1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG Jag Preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sundown1206, May 16, 2011.

1. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Hi I'm putting an EMG J set into my jaguar but am looking to replace the preamp. This is my first time changing a preamp and so I know nothing about it. I've been searching these forums and google and I'm not catching on any so I was hoping for some help. First I'd like to know what preamps people like to put into their jaguars that will work with emg pickups. I'd prefer the pre amp to have center detents as well. And I was thinking about the battery drainage since the pickups also use batteries. Btw I'm going for 18v. Thanks

2. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Cmon somebody

3. Evan Ciambrone

Evan Ciambrone

Nov 22, 2006
    Well I suppose as long as the pre-amp has a module you could solder it up the the roll knobs, but it will probably be tricky and best left to a pro, considering active/passive series/parallel and a master tone control are involved, assuming you have the fender model.

4. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    The roll controls are gone. I'm painting my bass and taking that out. They're being replaced by concentric knobs. I can solder just fine I just don't know what kind of preamp to use but I hate to original one.

5. Evan Ciambrone

Evan Ciambrone

Nov 22, 2006
    hmm Isn't there a big rout underneath that plate?

6. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Depending on what pre amp I get I'm either filling it or using it for batteries. Either way I'm having a custom pickguard made.

7. CoreyP

CoreyP

Jul 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Well I have a Jazz Bass with the J-set, and used the BQC System for my preamp, but find myself almost never using the mid control, so I'd personally recommend going for just a volume, blend, and bass/treble control. The only soldering that was required was to connect the 18v battery box, which I didn't trust myself to do, so that was handled by the luthier who set it up. I'm not especially familiar with the Jag Bass's wiring deal, so I can't give any Jag-specific advice.

8. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Heres some info for my particular jaguar:
    It will use EMG pickups
    18v
    Master volume
    Master tone
    Bass
    Treble
    Kill switch
    Preamp on off switch
    Voltage switch 9v/18v

So the preamp is required to only have bass and treble. It has to be able to run on 18 AND 9 volts. It has to be able to be shut off/bi passed. And it has to be compatible with EMG pickups.

9. CoreyP

CoreyP

Jul 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Well EMG's great about giving technical advice by e-mail, so run your wishlist by them:

support@emgpickups.com

10. Wud

Wud

Apr 11, 2009
  11. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I also added a mid control to my Joan Rivers P Bass, and it didn't do a whole lot for me. The bass and treble controls rule!

12. CoreyP

CoreyP

Jul 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Yes they do! :)

I also checked out your Joan Rivers bass - that's awesome! Once upon a time I planned to facelift an old Mexi Jazz V, but wound up mistakenly ordering 4-string pickups and decided to put together a 4-string jazz instead. The V is long gone and the 4-string is still my main bass - funny how that worked out!

13. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Thanks!
    I've been digging on passive pickups as of late. When you have a few basses, sometimes you forget about the others in the collection. In any event, I was playing my Squier refurb forever http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/squire-p-bass-gets-new-lease-life-581201/
    ,but I decided to pull out my Joan Rivers for a jam at my buddy's house. I forgot how sweet she sounded. She is #2 of 3 basses I've owned with EMG's. I know people are very polarized about them, but I love their clarity.