Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG Jazz Set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, May 9, 2005.

1. I am thinking of maybe perhaps switching out the pickups on my Peavey to a set of active EMG jazz pickups. Im not totaly decided on the matter yet, right now, its nothing more than a thought. But right now, the pickups on it are barely able to curl a smile from my face when I hit my favorite lines. I'm thinking I'd be more happier with the bass if I had new pickups in her. Again, I may not do this. The main reason isn't just that I want them, no. I'm giving this bass of mine to my girlfirend when I get a new one (Washburn T25?) and I want her to have an active bass. She loves my bass, and I think this could be a quick fix for the both of us.

All feedback is appreciated, thanks,
    ryan.

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have EMG Js in two of my Jazz basses (one fretted, one fretless) and they sound awesome to me. EMGs are renowned for giving a very clear and open "hi-fi" type sound. I have a sound clip recorded of the fretless, if you'd like to have a listen PM me with your email address and I'll send it over.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have a set of EMG-Js in my four-string Carvin. Made a passive instrument into an active one - without the addition of a preamp, since the EMG's are internally active (the active circuitry is contained within the pickup itself)...

They have a clean, clear, precise, refined tone. And although they're true single-coil pickups, there is zero noise, because the shielding is so good...

EMG-J's are a good choice if you don't want to install an onboard preamp, and you favor a modern, yet civilized tone. Just don't expect 'em to rock down the house - they're not that kind of pickup. They'd be best for pop, light rock, light funk or jazz...

MM