Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by adam on bass, Jul 19, 2004.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Will the EMG Jazz Set fit in a Mexican Jazz with one battery without any routing? I just picked one up cheap and planning ahead.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Two things to be concerned about:

1. Do the pickups fit the pickup routings? Old MIM jazzes used two pickups that were the exact same size. Most jazz pickup sets have a bridge pup that is a little larger than the neck pup.

2. Will the battery fit in the cavity? Most likely it will because people are able to install J Retro preamps into MIM basses. Just be sure to take steps to prevent the battery from shorting out any of the connections on the pots and the jack.

3. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The batery should fit and EMG sells a specific set of like sized pickups for MIM jazz basses.

To be safe Id e-mail EMG and run it by them. They've answered every e-mail I sent them though not always right away.

5. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Did it last night. With a tiny bit of routing, it's ok that's what I do for a day job, and a little filing the thing smokes now. The battery fit like a glove in the control cavity. I wrapped it in anti-static foam to avoid any shorting issues. Thanx everyone.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Glad to hear that it worked out. BTW, what do you think of the change in sound?

7. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    the sound has little more definition an a little less mud.

8. I made this upgrade a couple of years ago. i used a rasp to remove the wood for the bridge pickup and didn't do a great job of it, but the sound difference is amazing.

I also added another 9V battery (in series) which gives you more headroom if you dig in a lot, or play any slap.

fitting in the 2nd battery wasn't easy, but it's doable.

i think my MIM is from 96.....