Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I'm thinking of "Les Claypool-izing" my Jazz bass. I know more often than not, when Les plays a jazz it's pretty much stock. But I was watching the video for Sausage's "Riddles Are Abound Tonight" (I think it was that song, the video where they're all dressed in those blue costumes with antennae) and in the video Les plays a white Jazz with EMG pickups. I don't know if he recorded that with the EMG bass, probably not, but Les uses EMGs in most of his basses now anyway so I figure I can't go wrong.

Anyone know of a page with sound clips of EMG Jazz pickups by any chance?

2. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Here's a pic of the bass. Anyone know if these are the standard EMG Jazz replacements, or if they're older ones? Maybe he has them wired differently, I only see three knobs. But I don't have any kind of pickup knowledge really, maybe active EMGs only do have three knobs.

[​IMG]

3. LeTrull

LeTrull

Jun 10, 2005
    Active pickups can use passive controls, so a vol/vol/tone would definitely possible.

Edit: If you buy a set of EMGs they often come with a set of passive controls already wired up.

4. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Oops, it seems EMG has soundclips on their site now. That's new. So scratch that question I guess.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have a Jazz with EMG-J's in a passive V/V/T setup.

6. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    i had a PJ EMG kit wired with passive controls and here are some soundclips i do with: (the three higher in the list are made with EMG PJ, the other are made with barto PJ passive.)

http://le.ste.free.fr/Stejazz_soundclip/

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Is that a BadAss brige?

8. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Yeah, its is.