Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG JHZ anyone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thoughtpolice, Jan 19, 2006.

1. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
  2. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    well,
    I've got some of these p'ups on order, I'll let y'all know how it goes
    -R

3. I think you can find better passive pickups out there, which all the HZ models are. EMG active Pups are great, but just passive, Nordstrand, Aero, Bartolini, all have them beat (IMO)

Well, I see now you've already ordered then. Good luck though. All I've tried is the soapbar HZs, so thats been my experince. Maybe the different sizes will sound better. PM me and tell me what you think.

4. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Finally getting the pups delivered– wow what a thrill it is to do business with instrumentpro.com – I highly recommend staying away from them; I think setting myself on fire would be more fun!

On a more positive note I’ll be installing them hopefully tonight and will give you all some feedback on the sound – I’m pretty much a novice at pickup installation but I’ll take a crack at it – wish me luck!

5. pup intstall isnt hard at all, i put my first set in (basslines for my P) with no real knowlage, just kinda eyed everything up, and made it look the same before and after.

i will say though, that Ive got HZ soapbars in my Spector, and i love the sound, a little too crisp at times, but theyre quite versitile.
    (I do have the spector tone pump though, so mine arent quite passive)

6. pup intstall isnt hard at all, i put my first set in (basslines for my P) with no real knowlage, just kinda eyed everything up, and made it look the same before and after.

i will say though, that Ive got HZ soapbars in my Spector, and i love the sound, a little too crisp at times, but theyre quite versitile.
    (I do have the spector tone pump though, so mine arent quite passive)

7. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    OMG!!
    Here are the details of a horrific attempt at ordering from Instrument Pro.com–

Ordered Jan 20th from instrument pro.com (order details show in stock & will be shipping on 2/6/06)
    Order not rec’d for two weeks after the date advised–
    Called to find out it will be a couple weeks – phone rep advised he would follow up with a delivery date – Never Happened. - No email update rec’d
    4 emails sent & 1 Voice mail later– Still no replies
    2/20 Next day I send an email to cancel the order
    Next day I check my email I rec’d a shipping conformation for 2/20
    Called to check on the order again 2/21– Phone rep tells me “well it hasn’t shipped yet I’ve got the order right here in front of me” :rollno: – after I told him I rec’d confirmation of the item shipping the previous day
    Requested to cancel my order with the moron (they can’t do that because I need to fill out an online form) – asked for the owners email address (Michael Lee 1-800-805-0852 ext 205) and sent an email advising how discussed I am with the support of his company
    Advised he would discount the order $40 – so I though what the heck, I might as well stick it out now and get the damned things. -bad idea
    He told me he would take care of it and get it out to me (my PO Box Address) and sent the package on 2/23 UPS – to a P.O. Box – what a Moron!:(
    So the next day I call UPS and get the address changed to my physical address (which I try to avoid doing because I live on a large piece of property that has a locked gate too close to the street, where UPS drivers tend to leave packages to get greased by the locals)
    More than a week goes by of me watching the update status of the package tracking go from day to day without any delivery attempts.
    Today the item is being returned to sender?
    So I called Mr. Michael Lee this afternoon and advised he refund my cost in full and forget the order since he obviously did not see the transaction through and suggested to him that he can be a failure with a good excuse (which is all he had) but his attempt at customer service is still a failure.

So to make a long story short I'm not getting the pups, I'll be ordering them from my local Music store where I should of in the first place (lesson learned):bag:
    Hope you all never have to deal with idiots like that!

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What a shame. I used to have EMG-HZ pickups in a mid-line Dean Edge 5 fretless I had a few years back and they sounded wonderful to my ears. I've never liked the sound of EMG's signature active pickups or the "Select" models, but basses equipped with the "HZ" models always sound nice to me.

9. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    That’s good to hear!
    I planned to put them in my 99 Fender Jazz Fretless, when I bought it used a couple years ago it had DiMarzio pups, they just don’t do the sound justice; or at least the sound I’m going for. The DiMarzio’s seem to be a little ‘boomy’. I am hoping to gain more clarity, treble and mids after I get the HZ’s in it.

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The HZ's should sound great in that bass. I have a set of HZ soapbars in an ESP and I really like them. They have a nice full-spectrum tone that I have found to be rare in other pickups. I am considering ordering a P and a J HZ for my fretless ESP as well. Be sure to let us know how you like the J's, if and when you get them. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Just one more reason to support local business, eh?

11. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Good Point Definitely! - Although the online ‘get it now’ temptation is hard to over come at times - It’s always better to support the local business

12. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Hey everyone, the EMG HZ pups are in my Jazz 4 fretless and they sound great! I actually needed a little help since the existing set up had a Vol/Blend/Tone configuration and I wanted to change it back to Vol/Vol/Tone (standard) jazz set up. So I bought a new pot and rewired it, but missed a couple things which caused some serious hum. Took it in to the local shop (a killer tech btw that taught me a lot in 10 min about soldering/wiring:cool: ) an absolute success and experience that far surpasses the first attempt at ordering the pups.
    The tech also recommended some really good stings that I got& put on last night that sound really good - GHS flat Tape Wound strings. I’m pretty much a DR Guy but these sound great on the fretless; real bright and great to the touch for fretless noodling. Anyway the pups sound really good and am glad I got them installed – everything’s sounding like I want it to now and that’s a good feeling – the DiMarzio’s that were previously in it are on the way of the Do do on eBay and I’m not looking back.:)
    I highly recommend the pups for the fretless players out there looking for a little more punch, brightness, and overall tone.
    -R

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Congrats, man. I'm glad to hear that everything worked out. It sounds like you have yourself a pretty sweet fretless, now. BTW, what are the gauges on those GHS'? I'm sorta looking for a good set of "fretless" strings. I've tried a few different set but I always come back to the trusty DRs. Thanks.

14. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Hey bass-shy,

Thanks,
    Yeah I'm really digging the sound of this bass now

Specks for the GHS sting set I have are
    .105 .090 .070 .050
    Black/white package: no size description
    Black Nylon Tapewound Long Scale-38"
    Here’s the link to their site - http://www.ghsstrings.com

15. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks for the link. They look promising. I'll try to track down a set. Thanks again.

16. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    :cool: Think I might have to get a pair of these pickups for my fretted 4 Jazz bass also
    I'm digging the EMG HZ Sound!

17. catboyzee

catboyzee

Jul 20, 2007
    I recently switched out the stock pups in my ESP J Bass copy for a set of used JHZs I found on ebay for a really good price. I'm running passive V/V/T, with pickups wired so that bridge volume acts as an overall volume for both pups. They sound pretty good to me; a definite improvement over those noisy stock pups. JHZs sound a bit like their active EMG Js IMO, minus the circuitry and the 9V. They're really clean and compressed sounding, with a midrange that sounds sort of muted/scooped and not very complex. Many have described the EMG sound as being 'cold' or 'sterile'. I consider them to be more 'hi-fi passive', because of the way the sound has a built-in :) curve. The JHZs are pretty quiet also; I've played a couple of club gigs surrounded by flourescents and didn't any audible noise or 60cycle hum. While I wouldn't recommend them for players who insist on a traditional/vintage tone, I think they'd work well for Metal, Reggae, and Slapping/Tapping styles, and also for studio recording. TBH if I hadn't gotten found such a good deal I would've probably opted for pups by Dimarzio or Fender Noiseless. But for now the JHZs are getting it done for me, no major complaints.