EMG-J's? Need opinions.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Oct 21, 2004.

1. I've never played a bass with EMG's but I've played several guitars and they all sound great. Anybody got EMG's? What do you think? I'll be putting them in a Warrick Corvette. Two active J pups. The bass has a real middy/woody tone and I don't want that to change much. I just want some pups that are gonna brink out some clarity and a little added cleanliness. What do you guys think? Thanks. :bassist:
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I did a review on them in the Dimento J pup experiment and you can read that for details on my impression.

They're decent pups and you can do worse. From what I recall they were fairly balanced in range so would probably adapt well to about any bass but EMG's more than any other pup I've had tend to sound pretty much the same no matter what you stick them in so I don't know how much of the tone of your bass they'll reflect.

Dead quiet, clear, and about as hi-fi as you can get. Probably not the pups to get if you're into a pup with rawness or vintage-like tone.
  3. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I used to work for a Warwick dealer and one of the best sounds I heard from a Warwick was a Fortress One with Duncan pickups - I personally would try those. Nothing against EMGs (I have 'em in my Kubicki) but I think if you want to preserve the woodiness in your tone, I think you'd be happier with those.
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've got EMG's in my Spector NS-CRFM5 and they sound great: very clear and clean, but as others said, tehy have a very modern/hi-fi sound. I don't think they would do a lot for warwick tone, but back in the day, warwick made streamers with EMG's, so I could be wrong. Bartolini's or Seymour-Duncans would probably sound pretty slick.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had EMG's in my Thumb 5 and they were the best sounding pickups I tried after the stock MEC's died. They're a particularly good combination with that bass, gave it clarity while preserving the growl.