1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG Js vs Audere + Dimarzio (on a Geddy Jazz!)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Risen Ashes, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Go with the EMGs!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Audere pre-amp-leave the Stock Geddy jazz pickups

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Audere preamp + Dimarzio Model J's

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. EMGs + Aguilar preamp

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Other (Please elaborate)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. :help: I have a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass I just got my MESA Powerhouse cab, and I play an SVT II head, my active IBanez SRX 700 sounds great through the rig, but my Geddy needs more JUICE. I know a lot of bassist use Dimarzio Model Js on their Geddys, what about EMGs? I have been at this for a while, I have gone through SMASHs J bass configurations thread and these are what I've narrowed it down to...

I AM TORN BETWEEN:

AN AUDERE PREAMP WITH 3 BAND SWITCH + KEEPING THE GEDDYS PICKUPS,

http://www.audereaudio.com/JZ3.htm

AUDERE preamp with 3 band switch + DIMARZIO MODEL Js

http://www.audereaudio.com/JZ3.htm

EMG JAZZ PICKUPS (will I have to change the volume pots on these?)
    http://www.emgpickups.com/displaypro...&categoryid=25

I am wanting more output, I play mainly Hard Rock/Metal. At first I was attracted to Dimarzio Model Js because of the aggressive growl but I have read that the bass does not sound like a Jazz bass, I am not sure about EMGs because I don't know how it would sound on this bass...

2. bUmP!

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    For the style of music you are playing, Audere + Model Js will get that job done in spades.

You might not even need the Audere. Try the Model Js to start with...

4. That's not a bad idea at all...def the only way to find out...They are what I'm leaning towards right now because I think EMGs would be too bright...let's see what EMG owners have to say

5. I've never been fond of EMGs-especially in a Fender. I have a pair of Ultra Jazz pickups in my Marcus Miller and I am very happy with them.

I agree with Lorenzini: drop in the Dimarzios and see how you like it.

6. lowrumble

lowrumble ********ed Specs of Fender

Jul 17, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I just posted on another thread about installing the Audere JZ3 + DiMarzio Model J's combo in a Japanese Fernandes J-bass, largely due to the many recommendations here. When I bought the bass (off craigslist), it had a passive neck PU (original, maybe?) and an active EMG bridge pickup and EMG preamp. I hated that setup--too much noise in the neck PU and way to much high-end in the bridge, even with the EQ rolled totally off of the highs.

Now I'm amazed at the amount of low end I get from the neck PU in low-Z mode. Way more than my P-bass clones, which I now love just a little less than I did before. Enough to make me post repeatedly about it...

7. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I vote for the Audere and DiMarzio Model J combination. After I got this on a trade early this year, it quickly became my main gigging bass, even over the US Spector! The tonal varieties are great.

Take the mixture of 70's spacing, an alder body, maple neck, roundwounds, add in the Audere and Model J's and it ROCKS!

Randy

8. Thanks for your input so far guys...

Randy,

I'm floored, The Spector Euro LX P/J (with EMGs) is one of my dream basses (I don't even consider an American made because I can't afford it) Spectors are the main reason I even look at EMGs and these guys that I play with (guitarists use EMGs on all their guitars) However, on a Fender it seems to be much brighter than on a Spector...Again thanks for the input, I'm definately aiming at making a purchase within the next two weeks, probably the the Model Js...then get the Audere after I save up some more...after all the good reviews I've seen on this combo in other threads...you just sold me with that Spector statement-thanks!

9. :bassist: Following recommendations from this thread and other threads (including SMASH'S ratings), I bought the Dimarzio Model J's replaced them and I am now waiting for the 500K pots. I initially held off the Audere, to see how I liked the souns of the Model J's. Let me tell you that these rock on my Geddy. I prefer the sound I'm getting from them with a pick and will use them with that. Playing next to two Distorted guitars it sounds great. Like someone has posted on talkbass before these pickups are hot and aren't meant for solo bass playing unless you are going for a nine inch nails/nikki sixx bass solo...THEY ARE GREAT FOR A ROCK BAND SITUATION! I am keeping them passive for now. Anyways thanks again!:bassist:

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Glad you're enjoying them passive. I did. Wonderful pickups!

Of course, even if you don't need it, now you have the luxury of being able to get an Audere when you feel like it!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021