Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG-JV/LJV

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowendpurveyor, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Has anyone had any experience with the EMG-JV/LJV pickups? They're the ones with the exposed pole pieces. If so how do they compare to the old Fender pickups? Anyone have any comments on these? Thanks.

2. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    I had those pickups for a while in my mexican Jazz. I never had "old fender" pickups or basses, but these ones gave me a vintage and honky sound, with lots of punch and agressivity (sp?). I'm sure they're different from Fender because they're active and veery sensitive to the subtleties of your playing. The slap sound wasn't very "open", but it was very percussive.

I couldn't get used to it because it was my only instrument and I needed something that I could use for ballads and jazz too, not only rock-n'-roll, get it?

So I went back to passive pickups (bartolini, but i wanna try dimarzios soon).

3. I bought a used US Jazz w/ EMG Vintage J's (JV's), like yer talking about, and I didn't like 'em 'till I heard 'em on tape! Before that I'd thought they were actually kind of nice, clean, and characterless. Now I think they sound very even, with lots of deep punch with a sort of aggressive top. They sound dynamically resposive to my playing- kind of transparent that way. I just wrote to another guy about them, the thread titled "pup's on Jazz", or something like that.

They're definitley not a traditional J-sound, but they're super-clean and have some nice sizzle to 'em. And like I said, a satisfying deep punch and a nice "squash" when you punch it hard. They sit nicely and have their own presence in a live band mix. I'm getting to like 'em.

Stewbone.:)

4. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Hum... I agree with you, Stewbone.
    In fact there were some aspects I liked about those pickups. I'd have kept them if I had another jazz bass with the "traditional" sound.

5. Ya, Boogie. I understand about the trad problem- I've been torn about that. I'd been playing a Rickenbacker for about 8 years (several different ones, actually- I'm never satisfied!). The Emg's sort of remind me of the Rics. Maybe it's the judicious presence of top end- that 'sizzle'- in the pickups.
    They just don't really sound like a Jazz. But I gotta dig 'em! I, too, however, would be keen on finding another Jazz. Oh well- everybody Rhumba!

Stewbone. :D