Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG JV Pickups - 'true' tone? (in Hamer Cruise Bass)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Peter Weil, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hi all,

I have recently been lucky enough to score a secondhand Hamer Cruise Bass with a 2Tek bridge and EMG JV pickups. (Although these were not 'standard' in these basses, this one apparently came factory installed with EMG's!) It also has an active bass/treble EQ (EMG BTC or BQC circuit?)

At any rate, I had been planning to make my own Warmoth parts bass and so I purchased some Fender CS 60's pickups, which I had heard good reports of.

Now, I'm a big fan of passive pickups, but the EMG JV's sound pretty good. I had been considering taking them out and putting in the passive Fender pickups with standard electronics, mostly because I love the sound of plain ol' Fender passive Jazzes.

What I'm trying to find out is if anyone else has done a similar mod, or, if people generally think that EMG JV pickups nail a similar sound to the usual Fender passive pickups and I should leave the EMGs be! I do like how they aren't noisy at all.....

I look forward to everyone's responses.

Peter

2. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    I know that bassplayer magazine ones reviewed these pups. There were some blondfolded people there who actually thought that the EMG-JV equiped Jazz was the real Fender, hahahha. Also, they mentioned that the real fender maybe has a bit more detailed highs but that the EMG's sounded fatter. Thats what explaines the reaction of the blindfolded reviewers, they thought that the fat sounding one was the stock fender. So my comment is, if you want it fat, stick with the EMG's (the fenders only add noise and hum).

3. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks guys.

Arjan: Do you happen to remember the issue that that shootout was in? I'd love to read it. It certainly would be interesting.

Josh: Thanks for your input. Reading your review of the Hamer in various posts over the last year or two helped me eventually to buy it unheard over the 'net!! Bet that'll surprise you. I've found the Hamer Cruise to sound just as good as any of the high end jazzes I've tried, including a Sadowsky. So I consider it a bit of a steal.

In fact, I like it so much, I'll show you.

[​IMG]

At any rate - what pickups did you try and what did you think of them? Why are you against actives as such? I'm interested to know.

Thanks.

Pete

4. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    How the $%£&@! do you insert pictures that can be seen that you don't have to download?

Pete

5. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    You, sir, are cheeky. Posting the pic and not telling me how to do it.

:spit: ptui!

:D

Ah well. I'll keep scouring the threads about Jazz pickups (everyone loves Dimarzios, it seems....) and see if I can get more info from there.

I'm tempted to try out the passive PU's I've got..........

Pete

6. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hey Arjan - do you remember when that Bass Player article was?

Pete

7. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Peter, I still have that issue. It's a fairly old one, April 95'.

Bottom Line: Retains some of teh best qualities of the vintage single-coil J-BAss tone while adding the benefits of active pickups.

thats what the wrote.

another quote: In fact, several of our blindfolded testers actually preferred the balanced, fat sound of the active JV's to the brighter sound of the stock '65!

8. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks Arjan.

Would you mind posting me a photocopy? If you'd PM me I'll give you my address etc. I'll return the favour somehow.....

Pete

9. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Peter, I can scan it if you want. And send it to you via email. Is that okay?

10. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Oh. Wow.

Fantastic!

I look forward to it. Thanks so much.

Hooray for broadband.

:)

I'll pm you my email address.

Pete

11. bodhan

bodhan

Nov 19, 2002
    Brazil
    I have a fretles JB copy with EMG JV and also a Mexican 2002 Standard JB fretted. I tryed the EMG on the Fender, and the sound is totally diferent. The stock Fender PUs are brighter and has less lows than the EMG JV, actually the EMG has no HIs at all (!) but it's ok for my fretless sound not for fretted (IMO). So the EMG JV probably doesn't have the true JB sound, but sounds good for me !
    Please Arjan send the review to me ! It'll be great , thanks !

12. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    That's interesting. I now have two posts which essentially say that the EMG JV's are fat sounding. Whether or not this impairs their ability to reflect higher frequencies I don't know - could it have been a problem with the strings on that bass bodran?

I'm still piqued on this topic. I'm still up in the air about whether to try my Fender CS60's or not......

Anyone else got any feedback about EMG JV's?

Pete

13. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
  14. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    If you mean the 'J Bass Pickup shootout', I've already looked at it and it doesn't include EMG's.

If there's another article to which you refer I'd be appreciate of you posting the exact link, because heck knows I've looked on the site for info about EMG's and come up with very little (even after scouring the gear acrhives section).

Pete

15. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    No, my mistake. That's the article I thought you were talking about. If it's not there, the article probably is not online. Now I'd like to see the article!

Chris

16. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Me too!

Arjan - when are you gong to be able to scan in that article?

Pete

17. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Peter, just email me and I'll work on it, ok

18. bodhan

bodhan

Nov 19, 2002
    Brazil
    No, Peter, I've tested with brand new strings (nickel Fender med.). I just like the passive sound on my fretted more than with the EMG JV. But you can't the "thump" of the JV with the stock PUs. If you want a deep "thump" sound go for the EMG JV ...

19. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks bodhan.

I do like the sound of the standard Fender nickels....and the standard (Mexi) Jazz pickups!

I like the sound of the EMG JV's - very deep. But it does seem to me that they aren't quite so growly as the passives I've heard - but then again that can be very string dependent.

I've currently got a very old set of TI Jazz Rounds on the bass. The ?steel roundwounds it came with did have a bit more growl, I recall. I might try Fender rounds (nickel) befor I think about swapping out the pickups....

Hey Arjan, any more progress with scanning that article?

Pete

20. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    peter, I didn't have the time yet but this week I'll scan it.