1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG JX vs JX-CS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by littlebooner, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Anybody had any experience between these in terms of tonal difference?

2. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Haven't tried the JX-CS, but I can vouch for the JX. Excellent range and tone. I'd recommend pairing it up with a BQC. This is my favorite config for EMG pickups and pre.

GlassToMouth and Jamie_Funk like this.
  3. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I have a J-CS pair on the way along with a BQC to retrofit into a Carvin SB4K. I had some discussions with the fellow I ordered it from, and we were both wondering if the "added clarity and headroom" of the X-series mixed with the "warmer, more vintage" sound of the CS pickups would...pretty much bring it back towards a regular EMG J, so to speak. So I decided to err on the side of vintage and go with non-X J-CS. I can always move those over to the fretless and pop in a pair of JX-CS later down the road.

4. I was wondering that as well....the question is does "warmer" necessarily mean less clarity?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I don't believe it does, but some folks do associate warmth with reduced treble. Wish I had some experience with the X-CS's, though. Used to have a set of PJX's, and they were good but I dug the regular PJ's more because they were less bright compared to the PJX's. They can still get pretty bright, but not quite to the X level.

6. mysteryclock

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Honestly, I've never had a problem getting enough brightness or attack in my playing - I usually keep the treble control below 9am with any tweeter-containing cab. Clearly I picked up all my bad, hard-plucking habits from many, many teenage viewings of "Exit...Stage Left" on VHS....

I think I should be OK with the non-X versions, but I'll report back here when they arrive. Since Carvin helpfully puts two long pickups instead of a staggered set in the SB4K I'm having to order a double-long set and that's 3-4 weeks-ish.

7. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/TamamShodProg/
    And how did the J set work?

8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I have the 40JX soapbar version. Compared to the other EMG actives I have tried, which unfortunately does not include the JX-CS, I can vouch for the more open top end. Two additional observations:

1) CS usually means more lower mids and bass from the increased inductance due to the steel blades attached to the ceramic magnet, but not necessarily less top end, depending on the coil and preamp setup, although it can temper the top end.

2) Make sure the active element, either the centerline of the J version, or the logo side of the soapbar version, is no closer to the bridge than the traditional J "70's" bridge position. On my bass, the pickup rout is too close to the bridge, and I had to flip the 40JX around to get the coils upstream to the '70's J-bridge positions so it was not thin sounding.

9. MontzterMash

MontzterMash Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I haven't compared the JX with the JX-CS, but I like the JX-CS pickups I got. Very sweet and smooth sounding.

10. mysteryclock

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Sorry for the long, long delay....the J sets worked out very well. To me they sound like "vintage very hot" J pickups with lots of mid-growl but without being nasally. Sort of a late-60s/70s sound, especially when run through a distortable amp. The kind of sound that makes you want to jump at the end of a song, so to speak. And they are still quite quiet, especially compared to some single-coil pickups.

One note - on the Carvin SB4000 the front pickup had to be Dremel-ed down just a tiny fraction of a mm. on the long edges of the bottom to fit, because the bottom of it was a little fat from....all the epoxy squirted into them? Or maybe the neck pickup cavity is really, really tight on that model?? Both basses had to have the front ones shaved slightly, so be aware of that.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  11. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/TamamShodProg/
    Actually I ended up with the JVX which are paraised here on TB and I don't like them at all. Trying to swap them for a regular J set.

12. mysteryclock

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Curious - what don't you like about them?

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021