1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG MM-TW

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Daytona955i, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    So I've been looking into this pickup, looks pretty good, what exactly does a push-pull pot or a dpdt switch do?

What different pickup modes would I be able to use?

I want to use this is a single pickup in a custom bass, how do I set up the pots, what kind of different options do I have, and how could I do it and get a stingray-esque tone?

Here's the pickup
    http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Bass&categoryid=37&catalogid=188

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    The switch allows you to switch it from a MM pup to a J. Of course since it's an EMG you're stuck with parallel in both modes. EMG doesn't provide a series option for any of their pickups.

3. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't recommend it as a stand-alone pickup. The dual-coil mode is nice, but single mode definitely needs another pickup in my opinion.

In dual coil mode it doesn't really sound like a 'Ray. It's more like an really "thick" and growly J pickup. It's got a ton of both low and high mids, while I find a 'Ray to be more scooped in the upper mids. The highs are not as extended and bright as a 'Ray.

I have a 3-band pre in the bass that has this pickup (ESP Standard--same bass as the Surveyor II) and with the right tweaking I can get in the ballpark of a 'Ray sound, but it's definitely not the same.