Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Daytona955i, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    So I've been looking into this pickup, looks pretty good, what exactly does a push-pull pot or a dpdt switch do?

What different pickup modes would I be able to use?

I want to use this is a single pickup in a custom bass, how do I set up the pots, what kind of different options do I have, and how could I do it and get a stingray-esque tone?

Here's the pickup
  2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    The switch allows you to switch it from a MM pup to a J. Of course since it's an EMG you're stuck with parallel in both modes. EMG doesn't provide a series option for any of their pickups.
  3. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't recommend it as a stand-alone pickup. The dual-coil mode is nice, but single mode definitely needs another pickup in my opinion.

In dual coil mode it doesn't really sound like a 'Ray. It's more like an really "thick" and growly J pickup. It's got a ton of both low and high mids, while I find a 'Ray to be more scooped in the upper mids. The highs are not as extended and bright as a 'Ray.

I have a 3-band pre in the bass that has this pickup (ESP Standard--same bass as the Surveyor II) and with the right tweaking I can get in the ballpark of a 'Ray sound, but it's definitely not the same.