1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG MMTW work in passive mode?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BarkerBass, Mar 4, 2008.

1. hey all, I plan on replacing the bridge MM pickup in a project bass with an EMG MMTW, the current wilkinson pickup just doenst cut it for me, it sounds cheap and fat rather than crisp like id like and with the MMTW being designed for single coil and having enclosed poles im pretty sure its the pickup i want. My question is that since it is an active pickup if i install a push pull pot that bypasses the preamp and shifts the pickup signols straight to the jack will the EMG MMTW still work?

My other simpler question, is it ok to do what i propose and send the signol straight to the output or should i/do i need to include a passive tone control? I may end up rewiring the current 2band eq onto a stacked pot to free up a hole to house a passie control anyway just wondering if it'd work without one in the mean time.:confused:

Andy:bassist:

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You could bypass the EQ and run the pickup straight to the jack, no problem. There's no particular reason you really have to have a passive tone control or even a volume control.

That's not the same as making the bass "passive", though--you'll still need a battery to power the preamp that's built into the pickup.

Mike

3. thanks for such a quick reply, my main reason for askin was becaus i think a passive/acive bass with a push pull switch to choose between would add alot of versetility to my arsonal and allow alot of tones and wswitching posibilities im not too bothered about the prospect of using the passive mode incase the active dies. thanks i think ill take the plunge and but the EMG tonight.

4. Just a word of caution those EMG pickups need battery power to operate. Passive / Active switches work when the pickups are passive and you can disable the preamp.

5. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    You are also going to have to change the pots if you go with an active pickup like an EMG. The push/pull pot would be cool as a single coil/humbucker switch.

6. The EMG website says you can substitue the push pull pot for a switch and volume which is what i plan on doing since my bass already has a switch for single coil on the current MM pup. I think the passive active idea is misleading, all it will do is bypass the 2 band preamp it has and either go straight to the jack or via a passive tone control, its not really passive its just a choice of active 2 band or passive tone roll off i understand both modes will need battery power, im fine with that. I ordered the MMTW today so should be here withina week or so hopfully, will update when i get it installed!:hyper: