EMG Neck Dual Coil for Dub/Reggae? Good reggae pickups/basses?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Dec 4, 2004.

1. I'm listenin to Sublime and LBDAS and was thinking about Eric Wilsons great dub/reggae tone. Could some EMG 35 CS dual coils in a neck position get some good dub tone? What dual coil pickups/basses do get good dub tone?

Do the neck pickups in Fender J's get good dub tone? (Particularly the American Vintage Noiseleses Pickups)

-Jeremy

2. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Didn't Eric use a p-bass?

I don't have any experience with them, but I would think that the EMG 35Ps would get you a better dub tone than the DCs. Or whatever spacing you need.

I just saw flea get some awesome dub tone on a cover of "Get Up, Stand Up" with a j, so maybe just playing around with it.

3. If you are going to go the 4-banger route then you need this kind of P bass, the only bass with a dedicated SUBWOOFER pickup. They are DiMarzios. . the Yamaha Attidtude
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...il/0,6373,CNTID%3D434%26CTID%3D224100,00.html

Select Alder
    Neck Maple Bolt-on
    Fretboard Maple
    Pickups DiMarzio Woofer, DiMarzio P-Style
    Hardware Black with Hip Shot™ "D" Tuner
    Controls Woofer pickup volume, P pickup volume with stereo/mono selector, woofer pickup tone with high cut switch
    Frets 21
    Bridge Solid Brass
    Scale 34"
    Comments Knobs are push/push for dual functionality

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I play to a half dozen Bob Marley tunes (mostly off of Uprising I think) every night as part of a mix and I've gotten choice tones to match those tunes out of several pups I play through on a regular basis: a set of SD Rics loaded into an acoustically dark bass, Carvin Alnico MM in an acoustically bright bass, and a set of Fender Marcus Millers (Vintage J's) in an acoustically midrange bass. There have been others as well but those come to mind cause I play them regularly.

Took me a while to get my amp settings right for Reggae but since then I get at least a decent Reggae about as often as not with a lot of different pups. Getting the mids right seems to make the difference between nailing it and being close. Seems like most pups that work well to a broad range of styles will at least work good enough to Reggae to get by acceptably.