Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG Neck Dual Coil for Dub/Reggae? Good reggae pickups/basses?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Dec 4, 2004.

1. I'm listenin to Sublime and LBDAS and was thinking about Eric Wilsons great dub/reggae tone. Could some EMG 35 CS dual coils in a neck position get some good dub tone? What dual coil pickups/basses do get good dub tone?

Do the neck pickups in Fender J's get good dub tone? (Particularly the American Vintage Noiseleses Pickups)

-Jeremy

2. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Didn't Eric use a p-bass?

I don't have any experience with them, but I would think that the EMG 35Ps would get you a better dub tone than the DCs. Or whatever spacing you need.

I just saw flea get some awesome dub tone on a cover of "Get Up, Stand Up" with a j, so maybe just playing around with it.

3. If you are going to go the 4-banger route then you need this kind of P bass, the only bass with a dedicated SUBWOOFER pickup. They are DiMarzios. . the Yamaha Attidtude
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...il/0,6373,CNTID%3D434%26CTID%3D224100,00.html

Select Alder
    Neck Maple Bolt-on
    Fretboard Maple
    Pickups DiMarzio Woofer, DiMarzio P-Style
    Hardware Black with Hip Shot™ "D" Tuner
    Controls Woofer pickup volume, P pickup volume with stereo/mono selector, woofer pickup tone with high cut switch
    Frets 21
    Bridge Solid Brass
    Scale 34"
    Comments Knobs are push/push for dual functionality

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I play to a half dozen Bob Marley tunes (mostly off of Uprising I think) every night as part of a mix and I've gotten choice tones to match those tunes out of several pups I play through on a regular basis: a set of SD Rics loaded into an acoustically dark bass, Carvin Alnico MM in an acoustically bright bass, and a set of Fender Marcus Millers (Vintage J's) in an acoustically midrange bass. There have been others as well but those come to mind cause I play them regularly.

Took me a while to get my amp settings right for Reggae but since then I get at least a decent Reggae about as often as not with a lot of different pups. Getting the mids right seems to make the difference between nailing it and being close. Seems like most pups that work well to a broad range of styles will at least work good enough to Reggae to get by acceptably.