Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG noise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by murphysan, May 30, 2005.

1. murphysan

murphysan

May 30, 2005
    ok so I got a new J-Set for my Fender Jazz. It installed fine and all the soldering when well but Im getting hum. They work fine, and both volume and tone control work perfectly. The hum comes when I stand in a certain position and can go away in other positions.

The control cavity is not shielded and so this might be the problem, but I thought that the EMG pickups had internal shielding anyway? Do I still need to shield the control cavity or is the hum from something else?

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    If I were you, I would shield the control cavity. It is a fairly cheap and simple operation. Also, if you are using active EMGs, make sure there is NO wire running to the bridge. Active EMGs are internally grounded so a bridge ground isn't necessary. Try this and see if the noise stops. Hope this helps.

3. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    The cancellation of external hum is based on the assumption the same external noise is hitting both of the internal coils with equal intensity. The noise added to one coil is subtracted by a second coil. As you move closer to the noise source (or an object partially blocking the noise source) then the fields will not normally be equal and will not cancel as well. Cancellation is helpful but not a perfect solution.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've definetly had that experience with other pups but never active EMGs - and I've had half dozen or so sets of them. I suppose in the right environment, anything's possible but I would look for a cold joint, poor connections otherwise, faulty pot, jack, cord, whatever - just to know. And definetly disconnect the bridge cause it's not needed - OR - wire it up and see if that stops the hum. If so, you've probably got a poor ground. If the hum actually increase when you touch the strings with bridge wired in the circuit, I'd definetly look for a ground issue. Or if touching the strings stops it when the bridge is not in the mix. Also, if you've got a polarity switch on your amp (if the power switch toggles both ways, it does), flip it the opposite direction and see if that does anything.