Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG Noise.....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BullCityBass, Jun 23, 2005.

1. BullCityBass

BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    I know that sounds kinda like an oxymoron but its true, I have a noisey EMG setup. In this case, its the bride pup location. I have already swapped the pickups to rule out a bad pup so it must be in my wiring... I am very anal about my work, I re-checked all my solder joints and they all look nice and shiney, everything plays great and works great (2 volume pots and a BTC) but I get a slight noisey hiss out of the bridge pu, especially when I rock it back and forth a little (its a warwick, springs under the pups). It is also accentuated quite a bit when I turn the treble up anywhere past flat so adding any treble is out of the question. I also replaced the bridge volume pot hoping that would help but the same noise is there. Its an 18v system with 2 EMG LJ pups, 2 volume pots and a BTC.

Any help pinpointing the source of the noise would be greatly appreciated!

also, the bridge ground is NOT connected per EMG.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I think this is about the 3rd complaint of noisy EMG's in the last month - which I never recall a previous complaint about. You might want to do a search and check those threads out and email those guys if warranted.

Assuming it's not a million other things that will cuase it and that you know it's in the bass, replaced the battery, checked the battery clip and used a meter to check all connections - personally, I wouldn't jack around. I'd hard wire both pups to the jack and see what I get. Quiet? Then I'd skip the BTC and wire it through the standard EMG harness. Quiet? Finally hook the BTC back in.

That will tell you whether it's in the pups/jack, the harness, or the BTC. Preamp do go bad in time.

The fact it moves when the bass moves indicates it's either some external electronic interference or that the battery clip wires are screwing up (if the battery is just laying in the control bay and not fastened/clipped). The EMG battery clips are pretty decent but any clip is subject to fault.

3. BullCityBass

BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    yeah, i have been searching the forums for the past 2 weeks looking for similar issues to mine... with no luck.

I just spent the last 2 hours soldering every imaginable configuration of parts and I still got that noise. Talked to rick at emg and he is going to throw the pups on the bench for me and check them out. It may just be that I am in a room with lots of RFI (although I did turn most everyting off). I will feel better if he checks them out and they are ok, then I will just have to find a new place to practice if it turns out to be my office that is causing all the noise.

I am going to shield my cavity too with copper foil tape, see if that helps.

well, im going on vacation for a week so its good timing to send them off, i wont miss them as much.

thanks,

chris

4. ram2

ram2

Jul 16, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Chris,

I think I am having the same problem. I just installed the J set and BTC system in my bass. Everything plays great, but if I turn the treble up, I get a very "airy" hiss sound through the amp. I have no idea what is causing it. All the connections look fine. I called EMG today and they suggested playing with the dip swithes for the tone control. That didn't help. Not sure what to do next. If you find anything else, please post. I will do the same.

Alan

5. Not The Norm

Not The Norm

Jun 27, 2005
    I've also had some problems with my EMG installation, but I know what the problem is (I have another post about it: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187594).

EMG active pickups require 25K pots, unlike just about every other pickup made. If you did not use the pots that came with the pickups, that could be the problem.

And since 25K pots are only used by EMG's, they are hard to find. I'm getting ready to order some in about 3 minutes...

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

yes active EMG's require 25K pots and if you use 250K or 500K pots you will likely get consderable noise out of them. The use of 25K is understood by most players and clearly stated on their site so it never occurred to me that a player would use otherwise. Most any music store that handles electric guitars will have 25K audio pots, Sam Ash, GC and the like. It's about the only pot they carry with any cosistency it seems.

7. BullCityBass

BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    I am using the 25k pots that came with my pups although they dont look all that substantial... (i like beefy parts). When I return home middle of next week I should have my pups and a shipment of copper foil from AllParts, I am planning on sheilding the entire cavity, getting some nice foam weatherstrip to cushion the emgs, and resolder everything maybe even with some new 25k pots. If I still get that hiss, I will chock it up to where I play (in my office).

As soon as I am done with my "rebuild" I will post the results, I am really hoping that the shielding does the trick cuz I really love the sound of my new emgs over the stock mecs that came with my 5 string warwick corvette.

8. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    may i suggest,as this has helped me with "noisy" pickup/pre-amps....
    try the brush on sheilding paint that stewmac sells,
    cured 2 laklands of one picking up an AM radio station and the other of loud cracking noises...
    good-luck...

9. BullCityBass

BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    well, after everything was shielded (pup cavities and all) it still had that same hiss... The thing that gets me is that the stock MEC pups made no noise what-so-ever so I am convinced that this problem can be solved. I know its not my solder joints becasue I had re-done them several times and they all look nice and shiney. The shielding didint help so I am starting to think its not in the bass itself... so I start disconnecting stuff (I tried this before and disconnected everything but my BBE sonic maximizer, I just hit the bypass switch thinking it was as good as disconnected) and guess what I found out?!?

It was my sonic maximizer!

even in bypass mode, there must be somehting about the EMG pups that makes noise in this baby... After I took it completely out of the loop and went straight from my pre to my amp, noise was gone. I still get a little but that is if I crank the pre and my amp to max volume, when I back off, noise is gone.

so, needless to say the maximizer is coming out of the rack and probably going up for sale soon.

just wanted to let you guys (and gals) know my situation incase it applies to you!

thanks for all your ideas,

chris

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I would contact EMG before and the maximizer folks before doing so. Not only to find out what the real issue is but to maybe find out a way around it or learn about similar incompatabilities. I've never heard anything similar regarding EMG's and it strikes me strange than a buffered set of active pups would create an issue that a passive set wouldn't in terms of noise.