Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG on Marcus Miller Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by x4x, Aug 23, 2004.

1. x4x

x4x

May 10, 2003
    Erps-Kwerps
    I'm thinking of buying a macrus miller jazz bass and placing some other pickups on it.

My eye fell on the EMG J active Bass Pickups, since the MM is an active bass.

A few questions come to mind.

The MM comes equiped with 2 volume and 2 tone controles, but the EMG-J only has one tone controle. Also, the MM has an active/passive switch.

So what should i do. Keep all the buld in electronics and just mount the pickups (is that possible). Or loose all the electronics and build the EMG's in (and therefor cover op the 2nd tone and a/p switch) or build in the EMG electronics, and keep the 2nd tone and the switch from the original (is that possible?)

Or do you suggest another brand/type of pickups instead of the EMG's?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    One question though: if you don't have the bass yet, how do you know you need to change the pickups?

You don't need to use active pickups on an active bass. If you use active pickups, then if you have battery failure then you can be dead in the water. This is generally one reason why many people feel most comfortable with passive pickups / active preamp with active/passive bypass.

IF you go the EMG route, you'd need to modify the onboard electronics whatever way.
    For one thing. the existing vol/blend (or is it vol/vol?) pots are meant for passive pickups. You'd need to swap them out for 25K pots (recommended EMG value). Also, you could still have an active/passive bypass but you'll only be bypassing the preamp when you use the switch - the pickups still need battery power so if the battery dies, so does your sound.

There are plenty of other good aftermarket J pickups out there - read the thread stickied at the top of this forum.

3. Hey man, first off why would you change the pickups? I am a BIG EMG lover, but why would you put 'em on a bass as sick as that? I've personally tried it and thought it kicked A LOT of ass, the things got all kinds of deluxe hardware on it and its frickin' beautiful. Stick with the stock, dude. Just think that if it were made in America you'd be dishing out $1400 for the stuff that's on there. Good luck. :bassist:

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

David's points are all valid.

Personally, if I was only going to have one bass, I would buy a bass I liked exactly the way it was when I bought it - and it would be a J bass. If I wanted to explore, I'd buy something cheap that was comfortable, played well, with passable hardware, and midrange or bright acoustically - like an Ibanez GSR 200 I bought with active EMG PJ's for $100.