1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG opinions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Deguello462, May 14, 2006.

1. Deguello462

Deguello462 Guest

May 3, 2006
    Hey guys, I'm looking into getting 1 EMG35DC as a Bridge pickup and 1 EMG35CS as a neck pickup. Does anyone have any opinions as to if you think this would be a good setup or not? And would a EMG BTC Preamp work well with the combo? Thanks.

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Well I can help you with one of those... I have a 35-DC in the bridge (with a 35-P4 in the neck), and it works out great, especially for metal/prog/hard rock due to its very agressive tone. Also, I have found that EMGs are some of the best pickups for slapping. I can evn get away with using my EMG equipped bass in my jazz ensemble.

EMG seems to be an acquired taste... you'll either love 'em or hate 'em. No middle ground really.

Graeme

3. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    If it helps....i was told by a fellow bassist here with experience on this subject to go the other way around(cs for the bridge dc for the neck) the only difference is that i have 40 series instead of 35.
    i have not tried this yet,but i will (as soon as i get some extra$$$$)

4. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    VERY aggressive I might add. I switched my bridge DC out for a CS in the bridge position. Warmer sound, more useable for me.

5. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I don't really like the DC in the bridge position either. I have the same bass as God... Probably gonna switch it for a CS. But not sure yet. Sometimes it doesn't sound that bad...:eyebrow: I don't have my bass that long, so I'm gonna wait and see (hear).

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yeah it really depends on what kind of music you're playing. The DC is certainly not warm. When I need warmth I use my neck pup (P4).

Graeme

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Have the EMG soapbars (? model) in both my Bunker and David King 5's. Lots of natural high end without boosting the treble. Lows are focused, almost compressed-sounding.

Riis

8. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Talking about the HZ's?

9. Deguello462

Deguello462 Guest

May 3, 2006
    Not HZs, active extended series.

10. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I must revise my opinion about the DC in the bridge position. On it's own it doesn't sound that good IMO. But when playing with my band (Metallica tribute) that thing cuts like a hot knife through butter! Great! Even with EQ flat! Now I understand why almost every bass by ESP/LTD has them in the bridge position.
    Ain't gonna swap it any time soon!

11. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I have two EMG45 TW pickups in my bass (the coil splitting model), awesome sound, and very sersatile..
    I can get these configurations:

Neck pup: J
    Bridge pup: J

Neck pup: CS
    Bridge pup: CS

Neck pup: J

Neck pup: CS

These TW pickups are definetly worth chekking out..
    Don't know about the BTC preamp, but I combined my TW pickups whit the BQC Control and it works out great!
    I can get nearly every kind of sound I would like with this bass..