EMG or Seymore - Active or PAssive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by faceless_13, Apr 6, 2005.

1. faceless_13

Apr 6, 2005
    I have a fender jazz bass I want to put new pickups in. Right now I have a few basses one of them an ESP with active pickups. I don't want to alter the timber of my fender with Actives but I do need a high out put pick. One that would have the punch and match the volume of the EMGs. What Seymores would give me the volume/output with out going active. OR. Is active the best bet?

Rik :bassist:
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Check Seymour Duncan's site, but I think the highest output are the Quarter Pounders. They change the tone though, because they emphasize highs and lows over mids in comparison to standard J pickups. Duncan also makes a Hot for J bass that's high output, but EQ'ed more like a stock pickup.

Be aware that sometimes these hot pickups are WAY hotter than stock. I just installed a DiMarzio Model P in a 2004 Am. Ser. P bass, and to avoid clipping I need to use the -14db pad on my GK 700RB-II head. Even then, I can't turn the input up past about 1:00. I think it's hotter than some active setups.
  3. dont get any seymore duncan bass pickups, they suck, ive been through many and was not impressed by the sound (my stock pickups in my no name jazz sounded better and were quieter than the 3 different seymours i tried)
  4. Agreed. I was displeased with the Seymour's that I special ordered. I wasn't happy with them at all. I was out of money after buying them so I just saved up for some EMG's and I've never been happier. :p